Old June 10th 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Quick question re out-of-zone Travelcard on Oyster (ping Paul C?)

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:01:56 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

Dave Newt wrote:
Hi,

In a recentish thread on here, wherein I was discussing a "Hertford Stns
- Z1-6 Travelcard season £282.70", I asked:

"Rather than having to have it on paper, could I purchase it on Oyster?"

snip

(a) a definitive answer and;

(b) if the answer to (a) is "yes", the right words I need to say to make
the LUL staff issue it

The official line from the Oyster help site:

quote

Can I use Oyster for travel on National Railways outside of zones 1-6?

No. Travelcards on Oyster are currently valid for journeys within zone
1-6 and on the Metropolitan line, (including Chiltern services), north
of Moor Park to Amersham/Chesham and Watford (Met).

/quote

I think I need to go and ask the question as I'm not sure your quoted
answer from the Oyster site actually answers Mr Newt's question. I have
always understood it to be the case that it is entirely possible to
issue a Travelcard plus out boundary travel from a wide range of LU
stations. Hertford East was certainly a valid destination when I was
involved. I am not aware that there has been any reduction in the range
of out boundary destinations for either single, return or season ticket
purchases.

Given that LU has effectively scrapped magnetics for seasons I thought
the position was that LU issued on to Oyster cards for the Travelcard
encoding and provided a record card or similar to the passenger to
demonstrate that out boundary validity was part of the ticket purchased.
In the reverse direction (i.e. purchase at Hertford East then a magnetic
season would be sold).

I shall ask the fares office for a position but it may take a few days
for an answer to be provided.
--
Paul C