Old July 4th 07, 08:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Jul 4, 7:27 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
Pyromancer wrote:
On 4 Jul, 16:23, Kev wrote:
Why don't they go the whole way and remove all the seats. Just when I
thought that it might be worth using the NLL.

ISTR the original coaches of the Cathcart Circle had no seats, so more
people could get on, so it's been done before.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. 376s have been plying their
trade very successfully on Southeastern for the last three years - the
proposed 378 is not that significantly different. I'd rather stand on a
purpose-designed 378 with plenty of grab-rails than on a wedged 313 with
virtually none.

I use 376s frequently and, unlike the intelligently refurbished 455s
on SWT, they are an appalling realisation of a generally good idea.

The space is made unusable by chunky obstructions and a neglect of the
fact that two people with legs can't lean at right angles to each
other.

And they were purpose-designed for standing in with hardly any
handholds (until some were eventually added).