Old July 4th 07, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

On Jul 4, 11:20 pm, "Jack Taylor" wrote:
MIG wrote:

I use 376s frequently and, unlike the intelligently refurbished 455s
on SWT, they are an appalling realisation of a generally good idea.

The space is made unusable by chunky obstructions and a neglect of the
fact that two people with legs can't lean at right angles to each
other.

And they were purpose-designed for standing in with hardly any
handholds (until some were eventually added).

I must admit that I generally only use them off-peak, as a result of which I
hadn't noticed the problem with fully occupied seating. When I have used
them in the peak I don't even try to sit - I prefer to stand. I certainly
find them acceptable at those times but I agree that, as delivered, there
was a woeful lack of grab-rails. To South Eastern and Bombardier's credit,
they resolved that problem quite quickly.

The only complaint that I do still have is regarding the perch seats
adjacent to the door areas. For some reason perch cushions are provided at
ninety degrees to each other, one on the inner body skin and the other on
the back of the seat nearest the window, meaning that when one is in use it
is impossible for the other to be used, which seems rather pointless!

Yeah, that's what I meant about leaning at right-angles to each other
if both people have legs.

They would be much better without the transverse chunky bit and
withouth the huge chunky ridge either side of the door bay which
limits the perch space along the edge to about one and a half bums
(therefore one, unless people are very friendly), when the space from
doors to seats would easily allow two bums if it wasn't for that
obstruction.

Even better, there could be two flip-up seats. I think that a leaning
person's legs splay out further than feet tucked under a seat,
particularly when the tilt-like profile of the coaches prevents
leaning back to balance.