Old July 14th 07, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default North London Line goes 4-car in early 2011

Barry Salter wrote:
Jack Taylor wrote:
Mojo wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what signaling problems would affect the
use of SDO, such as not releasing the doors in the rear coach?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear on that, was I? Willesden Junction will
only hold three cars. With four car units it would not be possible
to pull forward such that the inner sets of doors in the leading and
trailing cars were at the platform and the other sets cut out
because of the position of the station starting signal at the end
of the platform. Either that would need to be relocated or
otherwise both sets of doors on the rear car would have to be cut
out (as that would be off the platform) - not very desirable or
customer friendly.

The Rules of the Plan give the following platform lengths for
Willesden Junction:

Low Level: Up and Down platforms - 125m, Bay - 67m
High Level: Eastbound - 55m, Westbound - 72m

I don't know how they worked that out, but that gives a 5 metre
overhang on the Eastbound with a 3 car set if it's accurate!

I did a path measurement on Google Earth for the High Level platform
edges, well actually the yellow lines near the edge, and got exactly
those figures.
--
Richard J.