Old January 3rd 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

Default Bus Passes?

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008 05:25:43 -0800 (PST), Steve
wrote:

As a semi-regular visitor to London for business and leisure, I have
no doubt that the above is true. However the main reason I almost
never use London buses is the difficulty in recognising my
destination, especially in busy periods, bad weather or darkness.
Unless one is very familiar with the geography of London or uses a
given bus route regularly, it's much easier to recognise the necessary
stop on the tube, find the right exit from the station and then
identify one's eventual destination from a map or directions provided
by the destiation from the nearest tube.

In the old days, of course, you asked the conductor to tell you when
you were at where you wanted to go. Indeed on some routes like the
no. 11 they used to announce the principal central London stops.
You can always ask your fellow passengers to let you know when you are
approaching your desired destination; the 'no-talking' rule doesn't
seem to apply as much on the buses as it does on the Underground.
--
Ken