Old March 14th 08, 08:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Sargeant Rutter Sargeant Rutter is offline

Default LEDs on the front of Picc trains.

wrote in message
.uk...

"Sargeant Rutter" wrote in message

wrote in message
Hi Folks,

I've noticed on the front right window (if you are in the cab) there
it a "thing" pointing forward with a lot of clear LEDs in it. It's
located slightly below where the windscreen wiper motor is.

I have asked a couple drivers and they either won't tell me or claim
they don't know.

They are all clear LEDs. Could it be some IR LEDs / sensors?
Collision / proximity detection perhaps?

I was just curious but now that the drivers don't know, it's made it
worse

TIA

Cheers,
C rispin

Its a "calling on light" it illuminates to tell the driver of the train
behind, that the train is in trouble of some kind, and will call the
train behind forward to assist. Once that light is on, the assisting
driver is assured that the train will not move.

The light over the door is to assist with detraining in emergency.

But I thought that the light in the window is to indicate that the
handbrake is applied.

In a word yes. The driver has to remove his key from the deadmans handle
lock and place in a lock to activate this light. While this key is not in
the DMH the hand brakes WILL be on.
HTH