Old November 21st 03, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Terry Harper Terry Harper is offline

Default Road Sign Font

"J. Chisholm" wrote in message

A committee was set up in in late 50's or early 60's to examine signing
(Warboys Committee). I remember lots of experimental signs in
Oxfordshire.
Results include:
Use of mainly 'lowercase' as easier to read (old signs were all
capitals).
A defined 'x' height according to speed of road.
'Heavy' type used for dark background.
Adoption of continental pictorial signs for many warning and mandatory
signs.
( I've still got a pre 'Warboys' highway code containing all the old
signs.

As I recall, the Oxfordshire signs were a private initiative on the part of
the then County Surveyor. They were strictly speaking illegal, but were so
well received that the Warboys Committee was set up to look at road signs.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org