Old July 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default Escaped Circle Line train at Aldgate East

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:52:33 +0100, "Chris Read"
wrote:

Walter Briscoe wrote:

At about 07.40 on Sunday morning 20/07/08, I saw a westbound train at
Aldgate East. The destination on the front was "CIRCLE LINE". There was no
mention of it on the platform train describer. The PA sounded something
akin to: "This is a Circle Line service via Liverpool Street".

Where might it have been parked?
What wanderings do Circle Line services do?

Probably entering service from Upney (Barking) sidings, where a number of
C-stock trains are berthed nightly.

I recall this service from my time living in Barking. It always caused a
degree of confusion to the bleary-eyed, early on a Sunday. Not least
because, with no H&C service east of Whitechapel on a Sunday, nobody at
Barking expected to see a C-stock train in service.

Plus, of course, the obvious question as to whether this 'Circle Line' train
would become a clockwise or anti-clockwise service!

Surely it should announce as H&C to Edgware Road or District to
Gloucester Road (is that possible?), as appropriate, until reaching
Liverpool Street/Tower Hill?