Old July 21st 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Stephen O'Connell[_3_] Stephen O'Connell[_3_] is offline

Default Escaped Circle Line train at Aldgate East

Phil Reynolds wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 00:17:55 +0100, Walter Briscoe wrote:

At about 07.40 on Sunday morning 20/07/08, I saw a westbound train at
Aldgate East. The destination on the front was "CIRCLE LINE". There
was no mention of it on the platform train describer. The PA sounded
something akin to: "This is a Circle Line service via Liverpool
Street".

Where might it have been parked?
What wanderings do Circle Line services do?

It is not unusual for a train to be taken from Circle Line service
and out to Aldgate East or even Whitechapel and then sent on its way
as if it had gone through Aldgate - the effect is to turn the train.

The C stocks can serve virtually all of the District Line - not just
Wimbleware - but if you saw a Circle at Aldgate East, it was probably
being turned.

Yeah. Have seen a C stock arrive at Mile End w/b on Circle Line duty
early on a Sunday too. I just imagined it had started life at
Plaistow/Barking.

I also saw a C stock at Mile End one Saturday evening a few years back,
but that was when Chelsea were playing West Ham. So it was some sort of
special added for the football traffic I'd imagine. I didn't see the
front of the train, but the indicator at the time said Wimbledon.