Old August 3rd 08, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Default Bus Announcement?

On Aug 3, 6:57*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:52:38 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
Today I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road and on the approach to each
bus stop, both the display and the voice announced the same thing, eg
"Trafalgar Avenue".

But when the bus was ready to leave each stop, the display announced
"21 to Lewisham Centre" but the voice announced simply "Crystal
Palace".

This was more like the way that the next stop is announced, although
it corresponded to announcing the route and destination.

Maybe the voice says "Crystal Palace" every time it doesn't know what
to say?

It reminds me of the SWT 450s which, while the display was showing
"all seats on this service are standard class" (or something like
that), the voice ominously announced "One".

I've not seen or heard anything that resembles a default message on an
I-Bus equipped vehicle. *As London Central are still mid way through
their conversion sounds to me like a system fault or more likely the
driver has input incorrect trip and destination details in the system.

Maybe, but given that the display was correct, you'd think they'd be
linked, also that incorrect details would at least be possible ones,
like "route x to y". At first I thought it was announcing the bus
stop, but then realised where the announcement came in the sequence.