Old December 1st 03, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default No new runway for Heathrow

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Can someone explain why we need a new runway anyway? The number of

aircraft
movements is already getting out of hand not to mention the huge

enviromental
damage they're doing. So if a new one isn't built then maybe easyjet will

sell
a few less 50 quid tickets for people going on a weekend away. Tough ****.
They'll have to stay at home and watch TV.

Isn't it about time politicians started taking enviromental issues

seriously
and not keep taking it up the arse from big business the whole time? Where
does it end?

Good point. We are continually bombarded with propaganda about the
environmental damage from road vehicles and railway vehicles. One afternoon
at Heathrow, watching departures, will alert anyone to the serious air
pollution being spewed out by jet airliners on a daily basis. Yet there is
never a mention of this fact in the media. All we ever hear is 'Air travel =
good; road/rail = nasty & dirty'. It's about time that the actual volume of
pollutants being discharged into the air was considered, rather than just
the volume per passenger carried. Is your air journey actually *necessary* -
or could the same be achieved by investing the money spent on business
jollies in electronic conferencing facilities?