Old September 15th 08, 11:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Changeless bus passenger denied boarding

In message of Mon, 15 Sep
2008 10:34:35 in uk.transport.london, Bill Hayles
writes
On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:21:10 +0100, Roy Stilling
wrote:

Walter Briscoe wrote:
On Sunday morning, about 08.00,I was on a 21 to Lewisham at London
Bridge/Monument. A passenger boarded and tried to pay with a twenty
pound note. The driver had no change and nor did other passengers. The
passenger was made to get off the bus. I was horrified and complained,
this morning, at 0845 300 7000. The stop is not "Pay before you board".
It seems the operator should have issued a pay later chit.
I have never seen this happen before; it would not have affected me as I
use an auto-topped Oyster.

My father was an LT driver back in the 70s and 80s and they were told
that they were under no obligation to give change at all although they
should always try to do so.

I was a bus driver in the 70s.

We were not issued with a float; I assume this is still the case. Many
drivers kept a small float of their own (I did, but only about a pounds'
worth) but others didn't and were under no obligation to do so. As you
say, the assumption has always been that the right money would be given,
and change given when possible but not guaranteed.

If you couldn't give change, the procedure was that you should take what
was tendered and issue an Unrefunded Change form.
The passenger could collect their change from the bus garage after you
had paid in.

It was amazing how many people, thinking the ploy would get them a free
ride, would then suddenly find the right money rather than have to visit
Dunton Green.

In the odd case where it was obviously genuine, I did my best to find
the change before the passenger alighted, but occasionally a visit to
the garage was needed.

However, nobody would ever be refused travel for not having the right
money - after all, if they didn't collect it, the company kept it!

We weren't even allowed to refuse travel to somebody who had *no* money.
We would take the passenger's name and address, complete an Uncollected
Fare form and let the company deal with it.

Incidentally, as a kid in the 1950s this was once a lifesaver. I lost
my Rover ticket and had to rely on Unpaid Fare forms to get me home.

Thanks for both replies. My understanding is enhanced.
When a child, I used to offer a shilling for a three halfpenny fare. It
was amazing how often that gave me free travel.
--
Walter Briscoe