Old December 21st 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Aston-Martin Boris bus

"MIG" wrote in message
On Dec 21, 2:13 pm, Mizter T wrote:
On 21 Dec, 13:23, MIG wrote:

(snip)

I expect that open platforms would be a far greater risk nowadays,
with drivers effectively required to avoid letting people get on or
off in order to keep to timings (and all stops being request stops
now).

Are all stops request stops now? I know there was a consultation on
this (to which I didn't respond, grrr) but is this now official
policy, or just your interpretation of what happens in reality?

That's an interesting point ... firstly, yes I was referring
facetiously to what is effectively the situation now (having been
whisked past a white-coloured stop at Trafalgar Square in the rush
hour when I was standing by the door, plus other examples, I am in no
doubt).

Merely standing by the door is not a reliable indication that you want to
get off at the next stop. AFAIK it's been the case for many years that
passengers wishing to alight should press a red button, whether it's a
compulsory or request stop (that distinction being meaningful only for
prospective passengers at the stop).

But the thing about the proposal was that drivers would have to stop
at all stops if there was someone there, even current request stops,
so they'd probably end up stopping much more than they currently do.

Maybe that's why it doesn't seem to have been implemented. I haven't found
any decision mentioned in the TfL board minutes. Does anyone know if a
decision was made or are they still thinking about it? Consultation ended
in July 2007.
--
Richard J.