Old December 11th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default Black cabs

In message , Kat
writes
Simple question!
Can a cab-driver refuse to take blind passengers?
TIA

cheeky answer
only if they're blind drunk

serious answer
They can only refuse to take a blind passenger for the same reasons that
they may refuse any other passenger. Some examples a
Journey too long (more than 12 miles or 1 hour in London) or outside the
cab's licence area.
Passenger not 'reasonable'. Difficult to prove but examples would be
totally drunk and near enough incapable or abusive to the point of being
aggressive.

A cab driver cannot refuse to take a blind person's dog, except on
medical grounds - for example if the driver is allergic to dog hair -
and s/he would need to have confirmation of this from a doctor

Personally if I see a blind person I always give them preference over
other potential passengers, and will often waive the fare.

If this is an actual case then every effort should be made to find the
driver responsible and get him/her reported. People like that don't
deserve to be in the trade.

Mike

--
Mike Hughes
A *licensed* Brighton (and soon to be London) Taxi driver