Old February 4th 09, 12:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default LEZ phase 3 for vans and minibuses scrapped - Boris has no balls

"Mizter T" wrote :
Nonetheless, good to have a different take on this, particularly
regarding the small businesses. I obviously don't agree that it's
"good news", but I can see that it could be something of a burden on
small businesses. I just think I would prioritise it over these
concerns - harsh perhaps, but there you go - likewise I think it's
harsh that Londoners could have had cleaner air were it not for the
extension of this scheme being scrapped.

I wouldn't worry too much either way; while California wants to cut
emissions by 30% within eight years, the UK aim is about that in 50 years,
and almost certainly the targets will be reduced and extended (again).

With or without small vehicle participation, UK efforts are a bad joke at
best, and planetary suicide at worst.

And, of course, Boris' contempt for green issues should be a salutary
warning for anyone who still believes a word that Cameron says on the issue.
Let's face it, the Tories are no more green than Blair was, and just as good
at making false promises.

The best thing Boris has done for the planet is to scrap the western
extension of the CC zone - once total gridlock sets in, some drivers might
consider turning off their engines. But don't hold your breath.
--
Andrew

If you stand up and be counted,
From time to time you may get yourself knocked down.
But remember this:
A man flattened by an opponent can get up again.
A man flattened by conformity stays down for good.
- Thomas J. Watson Jr.