Old December 13th 03, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Cast_Iron Cast_Iron is offline

Default police van travelling from Highbury corner

dave F wrote:
Friday night I observed a police van travelling from
Highbury corner down to Holloway Road. At first I thought
he was attending an emergency situation because not only
was he been very aggressive towards other road users but he
was using the blue light and siren. In fact the solo police
officer was only collecting his Indian take-away in a
public funded vehicle! (approx 3rd of the way along
Holloway Road from Highbury corner)

Are the police allowed to use the blue light & siren for
personal use (i.e. to pick up their take-away meals)? Also
could you inform me what is the procedure/law for police
officers to use the blue light for non emergency use?

The officer in question is aged about 40-50, average height
with a full face beard. Also the vehicle was a large 'mini
bus' type police van with the number 4803 displayed on the
back door. time of arrive at the take away 18:55 12/12/2003

Can anyone tell me because the vehicle was used for
personal use should
the officer face a bus lane fine and a parking ticket for
leaving his vehicle on a red line route before 7pm?

df

Why not send the details to Sir John Stevens, Metropolitan Police
Commissioner and see what he says? If you
prefer snail mail the address is New Scotland Yard Broadway London SW1H 0BG.
Phone 020 7222 1212.