Old December 15th 03, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
DDV DDV is offline

Default police van travelling from Highbury corner

"dave F" wrote in message ...
Friday night I observed a police van travelling from Highbury corner down to
Holloway Road. At first I thought he was attending an emergency situation
because not only was he been very aggressive towards other road users but he
was using the blue light and siren. In fact the solo police officer was only
collecting his Indian take-away in a public funded vehicle! (approx 3rd of
the way along Holloway Road from Highbury corner)

Are the police allowed to use the blue light & siren for personal use (i.e.
to pick up their take-away meals)? Also could you inform me what is the
procedure/law for police officers to use the blue light for non emergency
use?

The officer in question is aged about 40-50, average height with a full face
beard. Also the vehicle was a large 'mini bus' type police van with the
number 4803 displayed on the back door. time of arrive at the take away
18:55 12/12/2003

Can anyone tell me because the vehicle was used for personal use should
the officer face a bus lane fine and a parking ticket for leaving his
vehicle on a red line route before 7pm?

df

What you probably saw was a Police Officer who was due to be taking
his meal break, and so was en-route to collect some food, being
directed to an emergency response call or an assistance shout from a
colleague. When he was cancelled from the incident as not required,
rather than simply switching everything off in the middle of the
street and confusing the other motorists he pulled over and
coincidently was nearly at a takeaway which he then visited to collect
his dinner.

If the officer had indeed just used the emergency equipmemt in his
vehicle to go for his dinner he would have faced very serious
disciplinary action which may have resulted in losing his job so the
chances of the situation being as you perceived is very unlikely.
Before anyone says he wouldn't get caught there are GATSO and CCTV
cameras on Holloway Road

DDV