Old March 26th 09, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default G20 Summit

On 26 Mar, 13:41, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

To be fair, the Excel centre is sort of out of the way somewhat, out
in the 'more distant' Docklands.

Any location that requires the closure of 3 stations can not be called "out
of the way". There are numerous large country hotels in Britain which would
have create negligible disruption to travel.

"*sort of* out of the way *somewhat*" is wot I said, innit - and what
I was getting at was that it's out of the way of central London. It
also won't mean closing major roads - the A13 will remain open, the
Blackwall tunnel will stay open, the Woolwich Ferry will presumably
continue sailing, London City Airport plans to continue normal
operations [1].

The three stations are on a light rail system where the stations are
spaced closely together - these three stations are well within a mile
of each other - though yes I grant you that this now means that the
trains won't stop for something like almost two miles. Plus closing
these stations also lessens the risk of travel disruption to the DLR
network as well (though I'd guess that there are emergency plans are
in place to suspend service on the Beckton branch should that be
required).

I'm not quite sure what my thoughts are on a summit like this, but I
sort of think it is the kind of thing that happens from time to time
in major capital cities. And like I said, I do think the location of
Excel is "sort of out of the way somewhat".

Anyway, if the summit was being held in a large country hotel out in
the sticks then that wouldn't necessarily mean that demonstrations
wouldn't also be held in central London at the same time.

-----
[1] LCY info:
http://www.londoncityairport.com/Lan...ortdisruptions