Old March 26th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default G20 Summit

On 26 Mar, 14:15, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , Ian Jelf
writes

I have two tour jobs booked that day (Walking tour Bankside &
Blackfriars afternoon and South Bank in the evening.) * One of the
clients is keen for this to go ahead, the other is wavering and looking
to *me* for advice.

You're probably OK as long as you keep out of the square mile, but there
are reports in the press that protesters will attempt to bring transport
to a halt by leaving unattended packages on tube trains, which would
prove a big problem if your customers are expecting to arrive and depart
by tube.

I haven't come across that story - nonetheless I'm pretty sceptical of
any such scaremongering press reportage, I can't help but think it's
just the result of a hack finding some moronic comment written by a
daft idiot on an internet forum somewhere (or worse, being fed such a
scare story by a copper) and working it up into a story.

Of course if I ever witnessed anyone actually doing that I'd not
hesitate in delivering unto them some violence - but as I said, I'm
pretty sceptical of such reports. As ever with such things one should
remember there is not some homogeneous mass of protesters at play
here, there's all sorts of folk - including a few attention seeking
fools who try and whip up stuff like this. The problem with the media
is that they'll hone in on the loudest voices - the "G20 meltdown"
website has been mentioned many times, but it's just a couple of
people who've put it together to stir things up, it's not an
organisation or anything.

Frankly, I don't *know* what to tell them. * I risk losing work or I
risk disruption or even harm.

I'm sure the Met would advise if you rang them, but they'll probably say
"better to cancel". It was reported on the lunchtime news today that the
Met have circulated businesses in the city recommending that staff don't
come in if at all possible.

I paused for a moment to ponder why someone would call the
Metropolitan line control with a question like that (seriously)!