Old April 6th 09, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry.

Mizter T wrote:

I think there was some suggestion that when the new Thames Gateway
bridge opened, the Woolwich Ferry service would be withdrawn - so
perhaps in light of this there wasn't any particular long term
planning going on with regards to replacement ferries. However whilst
ex-Mayor Ken was keen on it, Mayor Boris however is not, and he has
decided not to pursue the project (I can't recall his pre-election
position on it, if indeed there was one) and so it's not going to
happen. At least, not any time soon - I can well imagine it
resurfacing in years to come.

For what it's worth there's recently been a council by-election in the Royal
Docks ward which covers the north side of the ferry (the ward consists of
Silvertown and North Woolwich - i.e. all of Newham south of the Royal Docks
themselves) and I (on the Conservative campaign team) can't remember the
ferry coming up as a local issue at all, though I'm not sure how much local
use there is of it that isn't covered by the foot tunnel or DLR (I did see
quite a bit of foot traffic using the ferry). And yes, this isn't entirely a
Newham council matter but local elections don't always stick to issues
within the competence of the authority being elected.