Old April 7th 09, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Woolwich Ferry.

On Apr 7, 9:49*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:

On 7/4/09 19:03, in article
, "kytelly"
wrote:

Both the ferry and the foot tunnel were being well used last sunday.
The DLR less so; I think it was running a reduced service service only
to Canning town.
Ferry will still be needed if a bridge isnt built IMHO

I used the tunnel late afternoon that day, for the first time in several
years. *There were several other people walking in he same direction as me,
Northbound, but I didn't see anybody going the other way until I passed to
people on the stairs at the North end.

When the DLR first opened, before the weekend closures for engineering works
and later the extension to Lewisham, the Greenwich tunnel used to get very
busy on Sunday afternoons. *Who were the main users of the tunnels when
first built, dockers on their way to work?

Yes - my understanding is that both foot tunnels were built with
dockers and associated workers in mind. There was a ferry service from
Greenwich to the Isle of Dogs before the foot tunnel opened.