Old June 10th 09, 01:18 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Christopher A. Lee Christopher A. Lee is offline

Default Modern Railways, June

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:15:58 +0100, "Tim Fenton"
wrote:

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

I always thought of them as the Routemaster of the tube world!

I'd have said the RT. RMs were more the contemporaries of the 59 and 62
stock.

Mind you, the RT was still in production in 1954 (paradoxically, some of
these had OLD nnn numberplates).

This was actually a pre-war design - you could recognise the pre-war
from the post-war because the former had route-number boxes front and
back but the latter only had them at the front or not at all. We used
to see them occasionally on the local routes when I was a kid.

Both the RT family (including RTL and RTW) and the RM family were long
lived, rugged and reliable vehicles many of which had an extended life
on provincial cities after withdrawal by London Transport. RMs were
the mainstay of of many of the independents athat sprung up after
deregulation.