Old June 10th 09, 05:26 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Pat O'Neill Pat O'Neill is offline

Default Modern Railways, June

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"MIG" wrote in message
On 10 June, 16:11, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Tim Fenton" wrote

There were two spells of RM operation in south Manchester, the second
being with an independent. The RM was a good vehicle for Wilmslow
Road,
but needed a crew of two, and they were by now getting old.

You do make me feel old. The RMs were billed as the replacement for
trolleybuses, and I was disappointed when the Bexleyheath trolleys were
replaced by RTs (on the 96, and by extending the 229 through to Woolwich
by
the 698 route). My earliest RM journeys were on Red Rovers, starting 161
Chislehurst to Woolwich (RT), Woolwich Ferry, and an RM (route 69?) from
North Woolwich to Chingford.

Peter

I think it could well be the 69.

I remember that we referred to the RMs on the 123 as "new buses".
Although, that was only relative to RTs on other routes like the 144
as it was then. I don't suppose they were that new really.

I'm now feeling really old. In November 1952 the 227 was shared between
old Scooters and new RFs. If both were lined up at Chislehurst Gordon Arms
I'd insist on going on the RF, even if the Scooter was due out first.

Peter

The RF was a pleasure to drive, I drove them on the 712-713-714 out of
Dorking and before that I had a go with the re-geared one at Reigate on the
727, that could really motor.