Old June 10th 09, 04:50 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] d7666@hotmail.com is offline

Default Modern Railways, June

On Jun 10, 4:38*am, "Stephen O'Connell" wrote:

hear the same. They were notoriously unreliable from the word go,

Unreliable? Yet some of them are still operating on the Isle of Weight
some 60 years after they were built! If that's unreliable, I hope I
still am at that age!!! *:-)

) I take the joke ... but have to point out longevity is not the
same as reliability.

There may be a tenuous relationship in that something that has low
reliability may have a shorter than planned service life if a point is
reached where capital replacement is lower than maintenance (incl.
overhauls).

IOW is an artificial regime ... large fleet compared to traffic
requirements, unintensive service, very small dedicated operators as
well as engineers.

--
Nick