Old June 10th 09, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Modern Railways, June

In article
,
(1506) wrote:

My "London Period" was 1967 thru 1975. The only Red painted stock at
that time was the Standards and the 1938. 1938 Stock had much cleaner
lines. OTOH, the oval windows on some Standard Stock cars were very
easy on the eye.

No Standard stock cars had oval windows. Just one 1938 TS DM had them, an
experimental modification not repeated on other cars. The extension of the
door windows into the curve of the upper part of the doors on the same
experimental car (10306? - I've not at home to look it up) was repeated in
the 1967 and later TS, though.

My experience was only as a passenger/enthusiast. I never knew that
the 1938 stock was a maintenance headache. Who would have known?
They seemed so solid.

The compressors were never reliable. They were eventually replaced, I
think in the 1980s.

--
Colin Rosenstiel