Old July 21st 09, 12:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
John B John B is offline

Default HS1 Domestic trains are a bit busy

On Jul 21, 12:28*am, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009, John B wrote:
On Jul 19, 9:16*pm, wrote:
there is a London postal district. It
consists of all postcodes that begin NW, N, E, SE and SW.

Not exactly. There are also EC, W and WC.

...which reminds me: it's only since moving to an office in EC1 in
Islington that I realised there are EC postcodes that aren't in the
City. Are there any bits of the City that aren't in EC?

I know you can't expect the PO necessarily to keep up with boundaries
that were created years after its own creation, but bloody hell - were
they really too inept at the time of starting the London-post-district
system to try and stick vaguely to boundaries that had been defined very
clearly for over 500 years...?

Why would they do that? Postcodes are about delivering letters, not
sticking to ancient boundaries.

'vaguely' was the wrong word above: they did stick *vaguely* to said
boundaries, just not *actually*. Had they done one or the other,
it'd've been fine - but creating an area that's 95% contiguous with
another area is bizarre.

(also, much as it pains me to admit it, the Post Office's status -
especially back when the London districts were created - means that it
does bestow some kind of geographical status on addresses. Life would
be easier if London postcodes were aligned to boroughs...)

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org