Old July 29th 09, 11:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
1506 1506 is offline

Default Plans for old Kings Cross Thameslink station

On Jul 29, 3:28*pm, "Mortimer" wrote:
Now that the new station beneath St Pancras is open, is the intention to use
the old Thameslink station for something completely different (eg not
railway-related) and to remove / fill in the platforms? Or will it be left
as an emergency evacuation route?

Given the state of other unused stations on busy lines, e.g. St John's
Wood Metropolitan I think it is unlikely that the platform space will
be reclaimed. However, given the location I think it would make a
great of sense to sink some large supporting pillars thru the old
platforms in order to construct some retail and office space above.
The airspace here would seem to be reasonably "high value".

By the way, why are the signs in St Pancras for "First Capital Connect"
rather than the more well-known name "Thameslink"? Surely the description of
the *route* is far more important than the name of the current franchise
holder?

Pitiful, the whole system is pitiful.