Old December 24th 03, 05:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Lea Bridge station reopening - meeting this Wednesday

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 12:50:56 -0000, "Peter Smyth"
wrote:

"Alan Osborn" wrote in message
In article , Peter Masson
writes

"87015" wrote in message
. com...

sometimes i am surprised lea bridge station ever shut in the first

place.

The only passenger trains booked to pass the site of Lea Bridge station

are
the 0817 Cheshunt to Stratford and 1748 return.

Peter

Pretty negligible service if when it was open.
If I recall at time of closure it was a peak-hour Stratford Low Level to
Tottenham Hale DMU My records show closure was 5th July 1985
One wonders if it does reopen, will the TOC presumably it will be First
Anglia or what it is going to call itself, will provide - maybe some
local trains via Tottenham Hale will run via Stratford to Liverpool
Street.

A long standing local idea was been to reinstate the curve between the
Chingford branch and the line via Lea Bridge to allow a local service to
Stratford for Docklands. I believe it would be a popular service as
there are considerable traffic flows between Chingford, Walthamstow and
Stratford and rail would be by far the most efficient way to provide the
capacity. It is a simple piece of work as the old alignment is there but
I can't see it happening because expansion of the rail network is not on
the SRA agenda.

I think one idea is to divert North London Line trains to Stratford High
Level then Lea Bridge and Tottenham Hale once the DLR has taken over the
North Woolwich branch.

I suppose that could work but it would make the North London Line a very
strange link indeed.
--
Paul C