Old October 13th 09, 08:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,uk.local.london
MatSav MatSav is offline

Default Cops caught in free first class rail rap.

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In message , Bill Borland
wrote:
I haven't looked closely at a copper recently, but it *used* to
be
the case that an essential part of the uniform was a
black-and-white
chequered band round the cuff, and merely removing *that* meant
that
the officer was no longer "in uniform". But that was a long
time ago
and things may have changed.

That was abolished no later than about 1965.

As I understand it, a police constable is never "off duty" -
although they may not be getting *paid* for their services, they
*always* carry their Warrant when in public. Unless it puts them
at personal risk of harm, they are *required* to intervene in any
situation that needs the presence of police,. I have been told
that the Warrant constitutes "uniform" - so, for example, a
constable ordering you to stop your motor vehicle can do so
simply by holding his Warrant in your view. Indeed, I've seen it
done.

--
MatSav