Old October 16th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,alt.travel.uk.air
rail rail is offline

Default Wafted from paradise to Luton Airport

In message
"DW downunder" noname wrote:

"MC" wrote in message
ster.com...
"DW downunder" noname wrote in message

"MC" wrote in message
ster.com... SNIP
Er... this was 20+ years ago. How can you compare your experiences
with modern flying trends. The airline industry and regulations
have moved on enormously since then. Budget airlines were still
only a twinkle in the eyes of a lot of the current budget airline
bosses.

Freddie Laker ring a bell? "Skytrain" - now when was that?

Not during the mid - late 80s timeframe we are talking here. It was a
trans-Atlantic service and also had a slightly different operation model
than modern day budget airlines including the fact that tickets were not
bookable and were only sold on a first come first served basis at the
point of departure.

MC

Oh, really!

Budget airlines (without further qualification) have been around for over
20 years. The Laker Skytrain was one example that predates the current
crop. That's all!

Anyone else remember Freddie?

I actually flew on one of his planes! Not the Skytrain but we did a Laker
package holiday to Rome in 1979, flew the same BAC111 both ways.

To placate the man who thinks he is a traction motor, the railway relevance
is that we were originally going to spend a weekend in York (and visit the
Railway Museum) travelling by train but a week in Rome was cheaper!

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail