Old October 29th 09, 08:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default West London Line - what recession?

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 10:14:47AM -0000, Paul Scott wrote:

I expect WJ (HL) won't be anything like as difficult to extend to 8 car
length once the current 4 car extension is completed. Getting across the LL
tracks, which is underway now, is the main problem to solve. Having said
that - I'm not too sure where the new reversing siding is going with respect
to the new platform ends - that could prove a limiting factor in the
eastward direction as well...

A bit academic though unless Shepherds Bush and Imperial Wharf have room for
extension.

There's nothing wrong with having one or two minor stations on a route
be shorter than the trains - Battersea Park springs to mind as an
example, as does Billingshurst.

Sure, everyone wanting to use the short stations has to cram into just a
few carriages, but those who don't want to use them will learn to use
the other carriages because they're more comfortable. The problem isn't
Shepherds Bush and Imperial Wharf, it's Clapham Junction. You need to
be able to fit the whole train into the platform at the major stations,
otherwise you'll just end up with half the train overcrowded and half
the train empty.

Lesbian bigots try to put finger in linguistic dyke: