Old December 30th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boris Magic Wonder Bus builder announced

On 29 Dec, 13:19, Paul Corfield wrote:

I don't see how. Once a route goes to double deck then that's it -
everyone on at the front and everyone touches in. *Not sure what's going
to happy on the NBFL which will apparently allow boarding and alighting
through all doors (like a rigid bendy)!?

Hooray. If passengers are allowed to board through all doors, and not
for some half-baked reason only board thorugh all doors on a bus which
happens to be articulated it might stop those bloody drivers from not
opening the front doors in the morning when there is *clearly* plenty
of room on the lower deck to accommodate more people. Crush load or
not, I'd prefer that to not getting to work on time.

D.

Old December 31st 09, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

...although interestingly, that strongly implies (to the extent that
any court would support) that Travelcard holders will only be liable
to a penalty fare if they fail to touch in on buses.

Which, from experience, is going to screw up the 521 and 507 even more,
since the current loading times for the cattle trucks is seemingly based
on people getting on and sitting down rather than hanging around the
doors touching in.

Tom
Old December 31st 09, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, John B wrote:

On Dec 26, 11:13*pm, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009 14:17:49 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
But there is still the narrow gap and having to wave or bleep
something at the driver, which is surely unnecessary.

The gap is wide enough for people to get through if nobody stands
there. *This can be avoided by going for a bigger bus with more
dedicated standing room downstairs.

Revenue protection is clearly proving to be necessary, given the
reputation of "uncle Ken's free buses". *But then the UK never did,
and probably never will, do penalty fares correctly[1].

I'm not sure this is true, except for highly depressing, party-
political values of "necessary". The actual TfL studies show that
evasion isn't significantly higher on bendies than regular buses -
unfortunately, the urban myth of 'uncle Ken's free buses' has obscured
the reality.

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

I got on the 29 last night and, er, well actually a chap cheerfully
grilled me about whether i was a member of various terrorist
organisations, then explained that there was a plot involving
gravitational forces, and that he was trying to save London. I don't know
if he'd touched in, but he was certainly touched.

tom

--
I was employed by a Lacanian and, believe me, you don't want to see what
a postmodern approach to cashflow entails. -- G'

Old January 1st 10, 03:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:00:46 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009, John B wrote:

(CUE: pointless anecdotes of "I got on the 29 and only saw 4 people
touching in". Well, yes - the others have Travelcards or bus passes).

I got on the 29 last night and, er, well actually a chap cheerfully
grilled me about whether i was a member of various terrorist
organisations, then explained that there was a plot involving
gravitational forces, and that he was trying to save London. I don't know
if he'd touched in, but he was certainly touched.

chortle

It's the beard Tom. Guaranteed to be a terrorist ;-)

The beard's gone! Although, er, it has recently come back slightly. I
currently look more like an arms dealer than a terrorist, though.

tom

--
There are many ways of going crazy, but the most valuable of them is
this one which makes a genius out of an ordinary man. -- Claudio Grondi