Old November 16th 03, 07:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Transport performance

Going back over 40 years or so, can anyone think of an industry that can
compete with TFL in the inflation stakes?

Using the standard measure of a single Mars bar (now available in economy
packs of course) at 1400% a call from a public phone box comes in at a quite
reasonable 1200% but a short hop bus fare is way out in front at 4200%

Jeff Mowatt

Old November 16th 03, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:05:38 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

Going back over 40 years or so, can anyone think of an industry that can
compete with TFL in the inflation stakes?

Using the standard measure of a single Mars bar (now available in economy
packs of course) at 1400% a call from a public phone box comes in at a quite
reasonable 1200% but a short hop bus fare is way out in front at 4200%

Ah, but what about a longer distance bus fare?
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk
Old November 16th 03, 04:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jeff Mowatt wrote:
Going back over 40 years or so, can anyone think of an industry that
can compete with TFL in the inflation stakes?

TfL hasn't been going for 40 years, and has IIRC actually *reduced* bus
fares on average.

Using the standard measure of a single Mars bar (now available in
economy packs of course) at 1400% a call from a public phone box
comes in at a quite reasonable 1200% but a short hop bus fare is way
out in front at 4200%

Since LT bus fares used to be graded on a mileage basis, today's flat fare
will always look expensive if compared with the shortest distance 40 years
ago. What fare and distance are you comparing today's 65p/70p/£1 with?
--
Richard J.

Old November 16th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

Since LT bus fares used to be graded on a mileage basis, today's flat fare
will always look expensive if compared with the shortest distance 40 years
ago. What fare and distance are you comparing today's 65p/70p/£1 with?
--
Richard J.

Richard,

By short hop I mean the journey that most would use a bus for. A trip to the
local shopping centre, railway station etc. As I recall this was measured in
"fare stages" and 4 old pence entitled you to travel 2 of these.

Also to be taken into account is the practice of terminating journeys due to
traffic conditions etc, effectively doubling today's fares short hop fares
at times.

To be fair, a one day bus pass is rather better value compared with what was
once called a Red Rover and a weekly bus pass is also excellent and I know
the short hop fare is probably priced to encourage more people to walk, but
a little more carrot and a little less stick would be appreciated by a lot
of us.

A better deal too nowadays for pensioners, I believe.

Jeff

Old November 16th 03, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:39:32 +0000 (UTC), "Jeff Mowatt"
wrote:

To be fair, a one day bus pass is rather better value compared with what was
once called a Red Rover and a weekly bus pass is also excellent and I know
the short hop fare is probably priced to encourage more people to walk, but
a little more carrot and a little less stick would be appreciated by a lot
of us.

How cheap do bus fares have to get before they become a carrot?
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk
Old November 16th 03, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Also to be taken into account is the practice of terminating journeys due to
traffic conditions etc, effectively doubling today's fares short hop fares
at times.

Assuming you refer to unplanned stopping short, I understand a
transfer ticket can be issued for free if this happens.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old November 16th 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jeff Mowatt wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

Since LT bus fares used to be graded on a mileage basis, today's flat fare
will always look expensive if compared with the shortest distance 40 years
ago. What fare and distance are you comparing today's 65p/70p/£1 with?
--
Richard J.

Richard,

By short hop I mean the journey that most would use a bus for. A trip to the
local shopping centre, railway station etc. As I recall this was measured in
"fare stages" and 4 old pence entitled you to travel 2 of these.

(snip)

According to http://www.eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp, 4 old pence from 40
years ago is equivalent to £0.21 in 2002 money. So really it's only an
increase of about 330% to a current 70p fare.

Nowadays I suspect that bus usage has been changed significantly with
shorter journeys generally being made by pass holders.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old November 17th 03, 07:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robert Woolley" wrote in message

How cheap do bus fares have to get before they become a carrot?

Forget carrots, a Mars bar will do!

Seriously, I fully understand that there have been adjustments which have
brought other benefits but for the occasional traveller, it's not so rosy as
it's painted.

Jeff