Old January 1st 10, 01:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Out of station NR interchanges: to touch out or not?

My wife commutes from Bromley South to Sutton, sometimes via Herne Hill
but also by walking between the two Penges. Prepay will suit her very
well, and the fare calculator assumes the route via Herne Hill (ie
Z3-5), which is fine. But I wonder if anyone here can predict what would
happen if she touched out at Penge East and in at West? Will the fare be
more/less/the same? Presumably 'ordinary' yellow Oyster readers will
just end her journey and begin a new one, and there's certainly no sign
of any pink validators around here. I'll get her to try it for real next
week, but I'm sure the combined expertise of this group can work out the
likely answer...

--
Current nearest station: Tooting Broadway

Old January 1st 10, 02:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JS JS is offline

On 1 Jan, 02:43, Rupert Candy wrote:
My wife commutes from Bromley South to Sutton, sometimes via Herne Hill
but also by walking between the two Penges. Prepay will suit her very
well, and the fare calculator assumes the route via Herne Hill (ie
Z3-5), which is fine. But I wonder if anyone here can predict what would
happen if she touched out at Penge East and in at West? Will the fare be
more/less/the same? Presumably 'ordinary' yellow Oyster readers will
just end her journey and begin a new one, and there's certainly no sign
of any pink validators around here. I'll get her to try it for real next
week, but I'm sure the combined expertise of this group can work out the
likely answer...

--
Current nearest station: Tooting Broadway

Penge East / West will be an Out of Station Interchange (OSI). Time
limit in either direction will be 25 minutes (I am told). So, if your
wife touches out at Penge East and then in again at Penge West within
25 minutes, assuming she touches in at Bromley South and out at
Sutton, she will pay for one journey rather than two
Old January 1st 10, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Rupert Candy" wrote in message

....Presumably 'ordinary' yellow Oyster readers will
just end her journey and begin a new one, and there's certainly no sign
of any pink validators around here.

No, it doesn't work like that - Out of Station Interchange is dealt with by
normal Yellow validators, subject to a time limit for getting between the
two gatelines.

Pink validators are for for route validation, which is a different, and
relatively new feature.

Paul S

Old January 2nd 10, 01:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jan 1, 11:58*am, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Rupert Candy" wrote in message

....Presumably 'ordinary' yellow Oyster readers will
just end her journey and begin a new one, and there's certainly no sign
of any pink validators around here.

No, it doesn't work like that - Out of Station Interchange is dealt with by
normal Yellow validators, subject to a time limit for getting between the
two gatelines.

Pink validators are for for route validation, which is a different, and
relatively new feature.

Thanks to both - that's exactly what I wanted to know. (I wasn't sure
whether they'd bother setting up the Penges to be an OOSI - it's
surprisingly hard to get the various Journey Planners to treat them as
an interchange at all!)