Old January 6th 10, 05:53 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Snow disruption Cambridge/London

"magwitch" wrote in message
Sam Holloway wrote:
On 6 Jan, 13:03, "Brian Watson" wrote:
My daughter and I have tickets for a theatre show in London this evening
(Wednesday) and want to travel up 'n back by train.

At the moment, the theatre's website is saying "the show will go on, but
watch this website for updates"

Is London enduring a snowy apocalypse or are we in with a reasonable
chance
of making the journey ok by rail?

There's been a fall of snow over Cambridge, a couple of cm, but it's
stopped now and the sky is clear. If that's all we get today here, you
should be fine in this area.

Sam

Disappointing, but there's quite a lot more for us due tomorrow and over
the w/e - a shallow low's forming in the north sea in addition to
convective showers blowing inland etc. And it's going to get extremely
cold with a bitter wind chill from an ENE wind as well.

I looked up my old postcode in West Sussex - believe it or not, they've
had a 24 hr accumulation of 38 cms! Wow!

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported that
many London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at 20:00, so
whilst you might be able to get to the show you might not get back

tim

Old January 6th 10, 06:00 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

tim.... wrote:
"magwitch" wrote in message
Sam Holloway wrote:
[...]

My god they are B'stards!

I used to regularly work till 8 pm especially if I'd been delayed
getting in in the morning - and London hotels book up in this weather or
for the sales really fast.

Hope they lay on a soup kitchen or something.
Old January 6th 10, 09:33 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported that
many London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at 20:00, so
whilst you might be able to get to the show you might not get back

tim

I find this totally ridiculous and as a paying communter frankly frustrating
and annoying

It's only a little bit of snow!

Left for work this morning and there was about 2cm at most. Victoria Line
from Blackhorse Road was packed, then when I got off at Highbury &
Islington, the FCC train was packed. I couldn't get on and 14 mins for the
next one, so squashed back onto the next Victoria Line train southbound.
Got off at Kings X, where I discovered there were delays on the Northern
Line due to "adverse weather conditions" Had wanted to avoid Kings X due to
the long walk to the Northern Line (should have stayed on to Euston, but as
the carriage was so tightly packed, I had to get off anyhow to let other
passengers off)
There was then no sign of any trains to Maze Hill from London Bridge at 9am.
No DLR at the moment from Bank. I just jumped on a train going to New Cross
and then got the 177 from there to Maze Hill. Even less snow in Greenwich

Was chucked out of work early at 4:15pm, so thought best to get the 188 to
North Greenwich. Was about 2cm of snow. Roads very wet, but largely clear
and by the time I got on the bus had stopped snowing. Bus took longer than
normal due to rightly cautious driving from all. At North Greenwich, I was
actually stunned TfL were doing something useful for once - due to bus
delays, any passengers getting buses to Stratford were being told they could
use their tickets on the Jubilee Line to Stratford. Judging by the last
snow incidence a couple of weeks ago, there probably few buses running from
Stratford as well. Was stuck in Leyton for 45 mins looking at a grounded
158 and 58 watching 2 packed 69's go by in the meantime.

Then plain sailing from North Greenwich to Green Park and then Green Park to
Blackhorse Road. At Blackhorse Road, was slightly surprised to see there
wasn't any more snow than there was this morning when I left and along
Forest Road it wasn't too bad a walk.

Old January 6th 10, 10:13 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Nicola Redwood" wrote in message

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported that many
London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at 20:00, so whilst
you might be able to get to the show you might not get back

I find this totally ridiculous and as a paying communter frankly frustrating
and annoying

It's only a little bit of snow!

But you do know that it's the wrong kind of snow don't yer?

Old January 6th 10, 10:29 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Nicola Redwood wrote:

[snow, travel, etc.]

I find this totally ridiculous and as a paying communter frankly frustrating
and annoying

It's only a little bit of snow!

How much more would you like to pay to ensure that the infrastructure
can cope with these unusual [1] conditions?

[1] Longest cold snap for 30 years, or something, I read.

Old January 6th 10, 11:14 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

magwitch wrote:
I looked up my old postcode in West Sussex - believe it or not, they've
had a 24 hr accumulation of 38 cms! Wow!

Yup, I'm in Liphook. We've had about 30cm - it varies a bit as it was
blowing while it snowed. This is on the parapet of a railway bridge, and is
about average:
http://www.markettos.org.uk/ephemeral/img_2251.jpg

It snowed pretty much straight for 24 hours. It's stopped now, but there
seemed to be little melting.

The only cars moving I saw were two landrovers and a JCB cleaning the lane.
But there are some seriously large snowmen around

Theo
Old January 7th 10, 12:47 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:29:17 -0000, Fevric J. Glandules
wrote:

Nicola Redwood wrote:

[snow, travel, etc.]

I find this totally ridiculous and as a paying communter frankly
frustrating
and annoying

It's only a little bit of snow!

How much more would you like to pay to ensure that the infrastructure
can cope with these unusual [1] conditions?

[1] Longest cold snap for 30 years, or something, I read.

It's more to do with Kings Cross as a whole going to emergency timetable.

--
Duncan Wood
Old January 7th 10, 09:00 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default Snow disruption Cambridge/London (from the OP)

tim.... wrote:

Is London enduring a snowy apocalypse or are we in with a
reasonable chance
of making the journey ok by rail?

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported
that many London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at
20:00, so whilst you might be able to get to the show you might not
get back

We made it there and back RELATIVELY without incident.

The line to KX WAS on the emergency timetable but it got us there and back
(I think it was 22.50 departure from KX) in reasonable time, though it was a
most-stopper.

The only problems involved the train doors on the return journey doors,
which were icing up and needed a fair amount of prizing apart and shoving to
get them closed again.

A "Britain Can Take It" spirit prevailed and the passengers pitched in each
time some poor sod was getting desperate about getting off the train, or
when the driver sent a message over the PA to close a reluctant door.

Incidentally, Chicago (the musical) was dull, VERY dull, with some soap star
bloke trying to sing the male lead without much success or conviction, and
Ruthie Henshall and the rest of the cast looking like they'd all rather be
somewhere else so they could enjoy themselves a bit.

Just my opinion, of course, but it was the first West End show I've been to
that didn't get anything like a standing ovation - at least, we didn't see
one from our POV in the Circle - nor was there a jolly reprise (apart from a
second round of walk-downs from the stars that looked a bit perfunctory).

The most entertaining thing in the theatre last night was a mouse trotting
to and fro at the back of the Circle. He or she may or may not have lasted
the night, rodent bait having been placed behind our seats.

All in all, it reminded me of WC Field's reported last words, "I'd rather be
in Philadelphia."

--
Brian
www.imagebus.co.uk/shop

Old January 7th 10, 03:49 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default OT Chicago musical (was Snow disruption Cambridge/London (from the OP))

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Incidentally, Chicago (the musical) was dull, VERY dull, with some soap
star bloke trying to sing the male lead without much success or
conviction, and Ruthie Henshall and the rest of the cast looking like
they'd all rather be somewhere else so they could enjoy themselves a bit.

That's a shame. Chicago is a wonderful piece - vital, energetic, exciting
and, when performed well, breathtaking. The original London cast - Ute
Lemper, Ruthie H, Henry Goodman and Nigel Planer - were superb. Shame about
Ian Kelsey being bad - he's done a couple of musicals so I would have
expected him to be OK.

Still, get the original London cast album - it's brilliant.

Ian

Old January 7th 10, 04:15 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 6 Jan, 19:00, magwitch wrote:
tim.... wrote:

I guess it's too late for the OP now, but the BBC has just reported that
many London stations will be shutting early, very early, like at 20:00, so
whilst you might be able to get to the show you might not get back

tim

My god they are B'stards!

I used to regularly work till 8 pm especially if I'd been delayed
getting in in the morning - and London hotels book up in this weather or
for the sales really fast.

Hope they lay on a soup kitchen or something.

Just now (5.15pm, Thursday) I received a text message from FCC telling
me to go home (from London to Cambridge) early.

From the website: "Great Northern route customers: trains are running
to the normal timetable today, but there are delays and cancellations
because of the weather and the service will be greatly reduced from
7.30pm. Please travel home early. There will be an emergency timetable
in place tomorrow. "

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...nt=LiveRunning

PaulO

Where get up to the hour snow fall reports? manser London Transport 12 December 18th 09 06:33 PM
All TfL buses suspended due to snow Matthew Dickinson London Transport 77 February 4th 09 08:06 PM
A Little Bit of Snow and No Service Matthew P Jones London Transport 1 January 28th 04 07:04 PM
Snow and Ice Anon London Transport 0 January 28th 04 01:59 PM
Snow-machines proposed to cool Tube Fustanella London Transport 1 August 20th 03 07:01 PM