Old February 4th 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default ELL Again

All fences gone and a 378 parked at New Cross today.

Old February 4th 10, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 4, 9:34*am, MIG wrote:
All fences gone and a 378 parked at New Cross today.

and, while I was sitting at a signal waiting to get into Liverpool
Street this morning, a pair of them crossing over the GE19 bridge.
Old February 4th 10, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 4 Feb, 18:48, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 01:34:05 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
All fences gone and a 378 parked at New Cross today.

When you say "fences" do you mean whatever was in place to cordon off
the ELL bay [1] platform at New Cross?

[1] assuming it is a bay, I can't remember.

Yes, it was all annoyingly hidden by hordings for ages, and then for
the last couple of weeks there were some sections with those metal
mesh things in concrete blocks, but now there seems to be free access
to the platform.

I was wondering if the train was there for some kind of preview for
dignitaries. It seemed to be there all day.

I've only just noticed that the potential pantograph coach seems back
to front, ie the dent in the roof isn't at the middle end. I was
wondering if it was a made-up unit, but now I look at pictures and
they are like that.

It is a bay platform, and I think any platform in that location always
must have been (Peter Masson will know better). It's New Cross Gate
that had a through platform effectively used as a bay due to the
limits of electrification.
Old February 4th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

It wasn't just because of the limits of [LU fourth rail]
electrification, it was the limits of the track too - i.e. there
wasn't any track that connected the ELL with the Southern network, not
in recent years at least - see Clive Feather's photo he
http://www.davros.org/rail/photos/p002.html

Obviously this has changed once again in the past year, and the
connection has once again been restored.
Old February 4th 10, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

There has obviously been a period in between when the line has been
blocked off. I suspect that it may have happened during that long
closure of the ELL, but that's only a guess.

The track was definitely not blocked up to some point in the 1980s,
after which I have a bit of a blank. Up till then it was definitely
one of the places where there was a connection between BR and LU,
although I don't know if it was used.

Old February 4th 10, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

wrote:
[...]

PS I meant that long closure in the 1990s when they did the tunnels
and so on, not the ongoing one.
Old February 5th 10, 12:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

`
On Feb 4, 11:01*pm, MIG wrote:

On 4 Feb, 22:58, MIG wrote:

On 4 Feb, 22:16, Mizter T wrote:

On Feb 4, 7:00*pm, MIG wrote:
[snip query re New Cross]
[...]

Understood. Dunno when the connection was severed. I'm sure someone
knows!