London Banter

-   -   Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10437-great-british-railway-journeys-st.html)

Basil Jet February 6th 10 03:04 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

martin February 6th 10 03:50 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

On Feb 6, 4:04*pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

Available on ye olde iPlayer for another 6 days at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgzr9
- or if you can't get that, but do have digital satellite and a PVR,
it's on BBC One Northern Ireland in the early hours of Tuesday morning
(though most likely with in-vision signing.)

martin February 6th 10 04:29 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

On Feb 6, 4:50*pm, martin wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:04*pm, "Basil Jet"

wrote:
Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

Available on ye olde iPlayer for another 6 days athttp://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgzr9
- or if you can't get that, but do have digital satellite and a PVR,
it's on BBC One Northern Ireland in the early hours of Tuesday morning
(though most likely with in-vision signing.)

Having just watched it on iPlayer, I see that version has in-vision
signing too.

(While Michael Portillo points out that the public 'aren't generally
allowed' to visit Big Ben, you can write to your MP to request a tour.
It's well worth it. Details can be found at
http://www.parliament.uk/visiting/vi...urs/bigben.cfm )

[email protected] February 7th 10 11:30 AM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

On 06.02.10 16:50, martin wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:04 pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

Available on ye olde iPlayer for another 6 days at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgzr9
- or if you can't get that, but do have digital satellite and a PVR,
it's on BBC One Northern Ireland in the early hours of Tuesday morning
(though most likely with in-vision signing.)

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Or have the jobsworths over at Health & Safety decreed that it's
"dangerous"?

Mizter T February 7th 10 12:12 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

*wrote:
Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

Available on ye olde iPlayer for another 6 days at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgzr9
- or if you can't get that, but do have digital satellite and a PVR,
it's on BBC One Northern Ireland in the early hours of Tuesday morning
(though most likely with in-vision signing.)

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Or have the jobsworths over at Health & Safety decreed that it's
"dangerous"?

I haven't watched the programme yet but St Pancras Chambers/ Midland
Grand Hotel is currently in the midst of being renovated and turrned
back into a hotel on the lower levels, with apartments on the upper
levels. I dare suggest the builders wouldn't be wildly keen on umpteen
visitors traipsing through their worksite!

Paul Scott February 7th 10 12:29 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

wrote:
On 06.02.10 16:50, martin wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:04 pm, "Basil Jet"
wrote:
Every bit of this programme should be of interest to people here.

Available on ye olde iPlayer for another 6 days at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qgzr9 - or if you can't get that,
but do have digital satellite and a PVR, it's on BBC One Northern Ireland
in the early hours of Tuesday
morning (though most likely with in-vision signing.)

Very interesting.

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Go down to their sales office and convince them you have the readies to buy
one of the penthouse suites. I reckon that ought to get you a look round...

Paul S

Paul Terry[_2_] February 7th 10 01:07 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

In message , "
writes

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Probably not now that renovation has started. But it was certainly
possible to take a tour during one of the London Open House weekends a
few years ago. Sadly, I missed it for some reason.
--
Paul Terry

Mizter T February 7th 10 01:37 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

On Feb 7, 2:07*pm, Paul Terry wrote:

In message , "
writes

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Probably not now that renovation has started. But it was certainly
possible to take a tour during one of the London Open House weekends a
few years ago. Sadly, I missed it for some reason.

Ditto. Rather annoyed I did now, looking back on it. Oh well.

Basil Jet February 7th 10 02:15 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

Mizter T wrote:
On Feb 7, 12:30 pm, "
wrote:

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

I dare suggest the builders wouldn't be wildly keen on umpteen
visitors traipsing through their worksite!

You could try saying "I tell you what I want, what I really really want".

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Jim Brittin February 7th 10 02:52 PM

Great British Railway Journeys: St Pancras to Westminster

In article ,
says...
In message , "
writes

I wonder if it's possible to get any tours of St. Pancras hotel.

Probably not now that renovation has started. But it was certainly
possible to take a tour during one of the London Open House weekends a
few years ago. Sadly, I missed it for some reason.

I did visit it a few years back on an Open House weekend, fascinating!

There was a charity auction for Kids Company on eBay last year entitled
'Sneak a peak inside the magnificent St Pancras hotel'

Description was 'The beautiful Midland Hotel at St Pancras is due to
reopen in 2011, but one reader can win an exclusive tour with our
architecture critic Rowan Moore and one of the developers. Tour for 4-5
people with Harry Handelsman of Manhattan Lofts and Rowan Moore. The
tour will be arranged at a mutually convenient time for both parties.
This item expires 30 June 2010.'

This implies that in theory it's not completely closed off until June.

The auction actually ended on 14 December, the winner paying £255.

Feedback was left by the winner on 4 February so presumably has taken
place.