London Banter

-   -   moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/10462-moorgate-bedford-platforms-ceiling.html)

lonelytraveller February 13th 10 01:34 AM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Offramp February 13th 10 02:15 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

On 13 Feb, 01:34, lonelytraveller
wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

It sounds like the door that people who take the red pill drop
through.
I'll try to go and see it on Monday.

Peter Lawrence[_2_] February 13th 10 03:30 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:34:42 -0800 (PST), lonelytraveller
wrote:

Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?
--
Peter Lawrence

Paul Scott February 13th 10 04:12 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

I'm not sure of the reference to Bedford in the subject - are you definitely
on the deep level GN&C (nowadays FCC) platform?

I googled this, and I found you were trying to find out about the tunnels
around there before!

I see from that thread - 'Missing Moorgate, started 05 Aug 2008 - there
were steps and passageways at the south end of all four tunnels that
originally led to lifts etc.

Somewhere on line there is a 3D drawing of all the disused tunnels at
Moorgate, it is proving to be a bit elusive at the moment so I'll keep
looking. I guess you are already aware of the 'subbrit' pages on Moorgate
from the earlier thread...

Paul S

Paul Scott February 13th 10 07:44 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"lonelytraveller" wrote in
message
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Somewhere on line there is a 3D drawing of all the disused tunnels at
Moorgate, it is proving to be a bit elusive at the moment so I'll keep
looking. I guess you are already aware of the 'subbrit' pages on Moorgate
from the earlier thread...

I now find the said 3D drawing is on the Crossrail site, although it's URL
is stale, and it is shown in an earlier post of lonelytraveller's about
Moorgate and Liverpool St. So he'll probably find the answer if he googles
his own threads...

Paul

lonelytraveller February 14th 10 11:04 AM

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?
--
Peter Lawrence

I thought that line was always electric?

Anyway, its a normal person-sized door, which is a bit of an odd shape
for fume extraction?

lonelytraveller February 14th 10 11:11 AM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

On 13 Feb, 16:12, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"lonelytraveller" wrote in

Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

I'm not sure of the reference to Bedford in the subject - are you definitely
on the deep level GN&C (nowadays FCC) platform?

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I meant Hertford.

Somewhere on line there is a 3D drawing of all the disused tunnels at
Moorgate, it is proving to be a bit elusive at the moment so I'll keep
looking. *

The picture faces north east, and has the ticket hall over most of it,
so it obscures everything in the platform 10 area. Unless you mean
some other 3D drawing?

I guess you are already aware of the 'subbrit' pages on Moorgate
from the earlier thread...

It doesn't mention the door....

[email protected] February 14th 10 11:19 AM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

In article
,

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?

I thought that line was always electric?

Not if you mean the Metropolitan Widened Lines.

Anyway, its a normal person-sized door, which is a bit of an odd shape
for fume extraction?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

lonelytraveller February 14th 10 11:33 AM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

On 14 Feb, 11:19, wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform 10 at
moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?

I thought that line was always electric?

Not if you mean the Metropolitan Widened Lines.

No, I mean the ones that go to Finsbury Park. The one marked platform
10, in fact.

[email protected] February 14th 10 12:09 PM

moorgate - bedford platforms - ceiling

In article
,
(lonelytraveller) wrote:

On 14 Feb, 11:19, wrote:
In article

,

wrote:
Why is there a door in the ceiling at the south end of platform
10 at moorgate (behind that cage thing) ?

Was that originally a vent for diesel fumes?

I thought that line was always electric?

Not if you mean the Metropolitan Widened Lines.

No, I mean the ones that go to Finsbury Park. The one marked platform
10, in fact.

I wasn't clear what the Moorgate numbering scheme, especially as these
things change over the years. What are now the FCC platforms were the GNC
and not Metropolitan ones at the outset.

--
Colin Rosenstiel