Old February 17th 10, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.media.radio.misc

Default Dartford tunnel radio reception

Is there a relay transmitter in the dartford tunnel? I assume there must be
since some stations remain clear even in the centre but how come only some
work? Heart is clear , LBC disappears into static about 100 metres in. Do the
stations have to pay a fee to be re-broadcast?

B2003

Old February 17th 10, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.media.radio.misc

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:17:40 +0000
Paul Terry wrote:
I assume there must be since some stations remain clear even in the
centre but how come only some work? Heart is clear , LBC disappears
into static about 100 metres in. Do the stations have to pay a fee to
be re-broadcast?

I think they do, which is why only some stations are clear (Radio 4 LW
always seems to work, and I think Five Live on MW, amongst others. There

I wonder how they prevent interference near the portals between the relays
and the main signal? The station I was listening to on FM transitioned
smoothly.

B2003

Old February 17th 10, 11:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.media.radio.misc

In message , d
writes

I wonder how they prevent interference near the portals between the relays
and the main signal? The station I was listening to on FM transitioned
smoothly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_transmitter may help, although some
car radios can perform their own frequency shift when a signal
deteriorates.
--
Paul Terry