Old February 27th 10, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR 3 car trains

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:55:11 +0000
Roland Perry wrote:
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?

Sounds like someone accidentaly loaded the 1992 stock control software
onto the system.

Seriously though , is it really so difficult to write software to drive
a train smoothly?

B2003

Old February 27th 10, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 20:55:11 on Fri, 26 Feb
2010, Roland Perry remarked:

I went to South Quay (and back) today.

Something I forgot: Why do some of the stations have new looking
"steps" installed halfway up the facing wall between the track and
the platform edge?

With "Do not step on this" (or similar) written on them. I can't
remember ever seeing anything quite so much like a step, for not
stepping on.
Old February 27th 10, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Alex" wrote in message

A lot of site
clearance has taken place near Pudding Mill Lane - I assume for
Crossrail tunnel bores and DLR station moving.

The cleared space is for Olympics' parking (it was cleaned in
2007-2008). I'd imagine it will be reused for Crossrail after 2012.

Crossrail's website suggests the work [on the portal] will start in Jul 2009
and be completed by June 2012. AIUI the DLR station gets resited somewhat
south of the existing position to allow for the new Crossrail tracks [which
are in cut and cover as far as the River Lee], with the diverted up slow
line into Liverpool St crossing over.

Paul S

Old February 27th 10, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Roland Perry wrote:
was quite a bit of "hunting" in the drive system. Appeared not to be
able to make its mind up between braking, coasting and even perhaps
applying power. Is the braking regen?

Sounds like someone accidentaly loaded the 1992 stock control software
onto the system.

Seriously though , is it really so difficult to write software to drive
a train smoothly?

B2003

As I was saying elsewhere, they now seem to have got rid of the
particularly violent deceleration half way out of Bank.

Old March 10th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 25 Feb, 19:13, MIG wrote:
On 25 Feb, 09:59, Mudchute wrote:

Saw a new 3 car train at Greenwich about 2330 last night but did see
one formed of the old stock when they were doing passenger-less test
operations a couple of months ago.

I'm glad they've gone for variable stopping points at places like
Mudchute northbound where there's only an entrance to the platform at
the southern end.

Anybody witnessed any panicky barging through the carriage at Cutty
Sark yet?

No. *As I was saying, announcement beforehand and extra staff on board
in case.

I got another one this evening; pretty sure it was a different unit
and again the internal displays not working.

This may be some kind of issue.

Today I notice that the long trains still don't have internal
displays.

The extra staff aren't there any more, and there aren't announcements
at the SDO stations.
Old April 24th 10, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 26 Feb, 13:11, MIG wrote:
On 26 Feb, 08:37, Martin Petrov
wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:17:26 -0800, Mizter T wrote:
I think the more interesting thing to observe has been what has already
happened, i.e. the platform lengthening and how it has been done in
various places.

That, and observing that one has a bit more breathing space on peakDLR
trains.

Well yes - South Quay's opening and the dive under at West India Quay are
the things that have impressed me the most.

As a daily Stratford - Canary Wharf traveller, the dive under has made a
big difference to getting through the final part of the journey, though
I'd be interested to know when they're intending to put 3 cars on trains
on that branch too - I know Pudding Mill Lane won't be able to handle
them, but having done all the other stations, I'd be shocked if they
weren't intending to roll them out along that line too?

The other improvement that I'd like to see them do is to bring the 5
minute frequency on that section (at least at peak time) so that there's
always a train waiting in Stratford - as it stands, the train comes into
Stratford every 7-8 mins, and there's a scrum of people to get on board
to get a seat - whereas when they had the 5 min frequency, a train would
come into one platform, and sit there while people got on board, and as
the next one pulled in, that one would pull out.

There was a document, or was it an MR article? which listed all the
stations coded by long from the start, extended and SDO. *I am sure
that the SDO stations included some not on that route.

My impression was that the whole of theDLRis capable of taking the
long trains one way or another, whether or not the service actually
runs.

Cutty Sark is an obviously well-know station that couldn't be extended
and they use SDO.

Today the first time I've seen a long one running at the weekend.

It could be just for the London Marathon weekend, but the staff seemed
to think it could be part of preparation for a general extension
(pardon the pun) of the use of long trains in terms of days of week
and times of day.
Old April 25th 10, 08:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 24 Apr, 17:55, MIG wrote:
On 26 Feb, 13:11, MIG wrote:

On 26 Feb, 08:37, Martin Petrov
wrote:

[...]

And I should have said routes. Seen a long one going to Tower Gateway
yesterday as well.
Old April 28th 10, 11:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The platform departure boards were today saying that three car trains
were operating on all Bank to Lewisham services which is great news.
It makes a massive difference especially in the morning peak - no more
cramming onto the train at Mudchute or having to wait for a few trains
to go by before I can squeeze on one.
Old April 29th 10, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 29 Apr, 00:27, Mudchute wrote:
The platform departure boards were today saying that three car trains
were operating on all Bank to Lewisham services which is great news.
It makes a massive difference especially in the morning peak - no more
cramming onto the train at Mudchute or having to wait for a few trains
to go by before I can squeeze on one.

I saw long one heading east between Blackwall and Poplar today. I
don't know for sure, but it had probably gone into service from
Gallions Reach rather than come from Woolwich. If so it means that,
even if only for certain shoulder peak journeys, they must be running
long trains up and down the Beckton branch.