Old February 23rd 10, 11:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR 3 car trains

I am reliably informed (via an internal notice) that the first 3 car
DLR trains have entered service today. MIG can now go and conclude
his "3 car" hunting expedition ;-)

--
Paul C
via Google

Old February 23rd 10, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Feb, 12:02, Paul Corfield wrote:
I am reliably informed (via an internal notice) that the first 3 car
DLR trains have entered service today. *MIG can now go and conclude
his "3 car" hunting expedition ;-)

There was a message on the whiteboard at Bank today that I thought
said "please use the full length of the platform" - though I had to
read it in a bit of a hurry while being swept past it, so I'm not 100%
sure. I thought this might mean they'd had a sudden switchover to 3
car trains, but was sadly disappointed!

Ganesh
Old February 23rd 10, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 04:02:41 -0800, Paul Corfield wrote:

I am reliably informed (via an internal notice) that the first 3 car DLR
trains have entered service today. MIG can now go and conclude his "3
car" hunting expedition ;-)

Damn you! I thought I'd be first one in with this, having picked it up
the newspaper under Canary Wharf while picking up my lunch (Chicken and
Veg Broth and cheese and pickle baguette from Eat, if you're interested)

http://www.docklands24.co.uk/content...ws/story.aspx?
brand=Docklands&category=news&tBrand=docklands&tCa tegory=znews&itemid=WeED23%
20Feb%202010%2010%3A53%3A19%3A520

It's the front page story on the physical edition.

I too will be loitering at Canary Wharf longer than I need to tonight in
the hope of spotting one.
Old February 23rd 10, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:36:09 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Petrov wrote:
http://www.docklands24.co.uk/content...ws/story.aspx?
brand=Docklands&category=news&tBrand=docklands&tC ategory=znews&itemid=WeED23%
20Feb%202010%2010%3A53%3A19%3A520

It's the front page story on the physical edition.

I too will be loitering at Canary Wharf longer than I need to tonight in
the hope of spotting one.

One wonders why they didn't go to three car immediately from one car operation
(or at least set up the infrastructure for 3 car) back in the 90s and save
themselves a lot of hassle and money in the long run.

B2003

Old February 23rd 10, 03:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Martin Petrov wrote:
http://www.docklands24.co.uk/content...ws/story.aspx?
brand=Docklands&category=news&tBrand=docklands&tCa tegory=znews&itemid=WeED23%
20Feb%202010%2010%3A53%3A19%3A520

It's the front page story on the physical edition.

I too will be loitering at Canary Wharf longer than I need to
tonight in the hope of spotting one.

One wonders why they didn't go to three car immediately from one car
operation (or at least set up the infrastructure for 3 car) back in
the 90s and save themselves a lot of hassle and money in the long run.

Might I refer you to the similar discussion two months ago?

And, BTW, pretty much all of the newer infrastructure was constructed
with three-car trains in mind. It's only the remaining sections of the
original infrastructure that have needed more work. In some cases, it
was possibly to extend stations to two-car length, but not three-car, so
more work has been needed this time (eg, moving South Quay station,
which wouldn't have been justified when the original train extension
happened).

Old February 23rd 10, 03:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 23 Feb, 12:02, Paul Corfield wrote:
I am reliably informed (via an internal notice) that the first 3 car
DLR trains have entered service today. *MIG can now go and conclude
his "3 car" hunting expedition ;-)

--
Paul C
via Google

Didn't spot one on a very short trip today. Tomorrow it will have to
be, to see if I can bag one of the blighters for my wall.

I am guessing that they may all be the 07/09 units? Both weekend test
runs I saw were.
Old February 24th 10, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 23 Feb, 16:56, MIG wrote:
On 23 Feb, 12:02, Paul Corfield wrote:

I am reliably informed (via an internal notice) that the first 3 car
DLR trains have entered service today. *MIG can now go and conclude
his "3 car" hunting expedition ;-)

--
Paul C
via Google

Didn't spot one on a very short trip today. *Tomorrow it will have to
be, to see if I can bag one of the blighters for my wall.

I am guessing that they may all be the 07/09 units? *Both weekend test
runs I saw were.

I just missed one (it?) at Bank today. All new units. It seemed to be
having some problems - the next train ran quite slowly and got stopped
at Westferry and then just outside Canary Wharf because the three car
train was making poor progress. Problems with stopping points,
perhaps? It seems they are using different platform positions for the
fronts of the two car and three car trains.

Ganesh
Old February 24th 10, 07:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
On 23 Feb, 16:56, MIG wrote:
[...]

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.
Old February 24th 10, 07:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:21:08 -0800, MIG wrote:

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.

All the 3 car trains are going to be "new ones", I believe? (prepared to
be told otherwise, of course....!)
Old February 24th 10, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Martin Petrov
writes

I've seen two this morning, both new kind, both destination Lewisham.
one on the upnunder and one at Shadwell.

All the 3 car trains are going to be "new ones", I believe? (prepared to
be told otherwise, of course....!)

The older types are quite capable too, although it may be a policy
decision to use new ones to make a point.

In any event, it's not possible to mix old and new cars in a formation.