Old February 24th 10, 10:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default O/T - Design for new US Embassy in Nine Elms revealed

Video report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8533297.stm

Computer mock-ups on the US Embassy website:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/new_emba..._embassy5.html

Section of the aforementioned website dedicated to the new Embassy
plans:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/new_embassy.html

Not irrelevant to transport considerations, of course. If a Battersea
extension of the Northern line were ever built, the prospective Nine
Elms station would serve the embassy and surrounding development - but
as I've said before, I find it hard to imagine the extension really
coming to fruition given that it would supposedly be financed by the
developers.

I imagine a fleet of embassy cars will spend their time shuttling US
officials to and from central London (indeed, I can only assume some
sort of fleet already exists), whilst presumably continuing to shirk
paying the C charge. Interesting that the new embassy is to actually
overlook the busy Nine Elms road, albeit set back by quite some
distance.

Old February 24th 10, 11:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message

Video report:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8533297.stm

Computer mock-ups on the US Embassy website:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/new_emba..._embassy5.html

Section of the aforementioned website dedicated to the new Embassy
plans:
http://www.usembassy.org.uk/new_embassy.html

Not irrelevant to transport considerations, of course. If a Battersea
extension of the Northern line were ever built, the prospective Nine
Elms station would serve the embassy and surrounding development - but
as I've said before, I find it hard to imagine the extension really
coming to fruition given that it would supposedly be financed by the
developers.

I wonder whether the US embassy will also apply some pressure/provide
some funding for this extension? After all, not everyone who visits the
embassy will be coming by taxi or chauffeur-driven car.

I imagine a fleet of embassy cars will spend their time shuttling US
officials to and from central London (indeed, I can only assume some
sort of fleet already exists), whilst presumably continuing to shirk
paying the C charge. Interesting that the new embassy is to actually
overlook the busy Nine Elms road, albeit set back by quite some
distance.

Of course, they will be shirking less C charge with the new embassy
outside the C charge zone, and with many trips presumably not involving
the C charge zone. The future non-diplomatic occupants of the current
embassy building will presumably not be able to shirk the C charge or
parking costs.

There's also some controversy over the choice of design:
www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/feb/23/us-ambassador-spoiling-view-embassy
The print edition also shows the much more attractive Thom Mayne design.

Old February 25th 10, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Recliner" wrote in message

I wonder whether the US embassy will also apply some pressure/provide some
funding for this extension? After all, not everyone who visits the
embassy will be coming by taxi or chauffeur-driven car.

Especially not the staff!

Ian