Old November 24th 03, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Number 8 bus

"John Rowland" wrote in message
"Kat" wrote in message

I see from your reply that the correct term is "outstationed"

I don't see how the word could be used with buses. Although tube lines
usually have a depot or two and several sidings elsewhere, I don't think
there is a bus equivalent to sidings. If a route uses buses from two
garages, which buses are "outstationed"?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Not in London admittedly but some operators do use outstations. Stagecoach
whatever down here have a yard near Haslemere station where buses from
Aldershot's allocation are kept overnight (and between school runs) to save
them having to go back to Aldershot each night. It appears to be no more
than a bit of dirt ground in a car park.

Paul

Old November 24th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:20:19 +0000, Kat wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:
In message , Paul Dredge
writes

[...]
and to answer another question, yes all the 8's Routemasters are based at
Bow and no they are not outstationed anywhere else

I see from your reply that the correct term is "outstationed"

No, not in the context you're thinking of.

Buses are "parked up" or "garaged", depending on operator. "Stabling"
is used in a bus context as well, I'm pretty sure, although despite
racking my brains I can't think of where...

"Outstations" are sub-depots, sometimes nothing more than the regular
driver's drive, where buses are parked overnight to start the service
the following day. Rural operators are more likely to outstation
buses, urban ones generally don't do so.

[...]
Also, I wondered who buys whole fleets of London buses when they are
replaced?

Now that the London companies are mostly owned by the big groups, the
answer to that one is often "nobody". What happens is they are
cascaded down to the provincial subsidiaries of the groups, allowing
them in turn to release vehicles to cascade to poorer subsidiaries -
or to sell to the scrapman as old junk, or to enthusiasts who may not
consider it to be old junk.

--
Ross Hamilton, in Lincoln (UK)
From address *will* bounce
Old November 24th 03, 05:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Ross
writes
[...]

Thanks...
BTW, (for those reading this on UTL)
There's what could be an interesting thread on uk.transport.buses
entitled "OK - lets have some Christmas fun" and asking for "A 100 Uses
for a Dead Bus"........
It needs some imaginative replies ;-)
--
Kat

Old November 24th 03, 06:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In article , Ross
writes
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 05:20:19 +0000, Kat wrote in
, seen in uk.transport.buses:
In message , Paul Dredge
writes

[...]
and to answer another question, yes all the 8's Routemasters are based at
Bow and no they are not outstationed anywhere else

I see from your reply that the correct term is "outstationed"

No, not in the context you're thinking of.

Buses are "parked up" or "garaged", depending on operator. "Stabling"
is used in a bus context as well, I'm pretty sure, although despite
racking my brains I can't think of where...

"Outstations" are sub-depots, sometimes nothing more than the regular
driver's drive, where buses are parked overnight to start the service
the following day. Rural operators are more likely to outstation
buses, urban ones generally don't do so.

Is calling an outstation a "Dormy" or "Dormy Garage" a practice
exclusive to the old Midland Red, or was that a widespread term?

Someone here is bound to know, Ross being at the top of the list!

(Incidentally, Ross, perhaps you'd like to send me your current e-mail
address, as I've managed to lose it!)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old November 24th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Kat" wrote in message
The one you saw Kat is ticketed to run in normal passenger service, for

most
of this year it was on the 15.

Thanks for the information, Ray
(Haven't seen you on the e/b at MIE for a while now)

I've tried to send you e-mail - drop me a line?

Ray

---

Old November 24th 03, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Is calling an outstation a "Dormy" or "Dormy Garage" a practice
exclusive to the old Midland Red, or was that a widespread term?

Someone here is bound to know, Ross being at the top of the list!

No, it was a commonly-used term in the industry. Dormy Shed is another
variation. Outpost is another that I have heard.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old November 25th 03, 12:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:37:59 +0000 (UTC), "Terry Harper"
wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Is calling an outstation a "Dormy" or "Dormy Garage" a practice
exclusive to the old Midland Red, or was that a widespread term?

Someone here is bound to know, Ross being at the top of the list!

No, it was a commonly-used term in the industry. Dormy Shed is another
variation. Outpost is another that I have heard.

London Transport used "outstation". In the 1960s, a bus was
outstationed on the forecourt of the Royal Oak, Holmbury St. Mary
each night, the drivers living nearby. The arrangement ceased when
one of the drivers (known to all and sundry as "Curly" - I never
knew his real name) retired.

--
Bill Hayles

http://billnot.com