Old November 25th 03, 04:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Toilets.

Ian Jelf typed

Would you be able to get a RADAR key? Would you want to?

Yes but not quite yet.

*Far* more civilised than Birmingham New Street - London Euston. :-)

Yebbut I live closest to a Northern Line station. Access to Marylebone
is a PITA from here, whereas euston is a doddle.

My last foray to London Termini was at the start of October, when I
wanted to buy a National Rail Timetable. I think I visited three
branches of Wholly Hopeless Smith's.

Do you have reinforced pockets?

Yes,

Who reinforced them?? ;-)

you need them (although our £2.50 day tickets help with many kinds
of journey and most off peak fares are £1 anyway. I wish we had
something similar to London's "Saver" tickets, though. They would
serve my current needs perfectly.

I like Saver tickets but don't use them myself as I have an Annual Bus
Pass. I buy Savers to give to friends and beggars.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old November 25th 03, 07:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:28:41 -0000, John Rowland

wrote in :
"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

Sounds very similar to the Hotel Tatarstan in Kazan'
a few years ago.

How is that apostrophe pronounced - as a glottal stop?

It should really be an accent above the n, and is pronounced (AFAIR)
like an additional -ye (as in "yearn") cut off in mid-stride.

One of our party headed for the Ladies, commenting that
he'd never been anywhere in the world where the Ladies
weren't considerably cleaner than the Gents; he came
back saying that he had now...

I haven't often been in ladies' toilets, but I've always found them worse
than the gents. The graffiti is worse, and they tend to hover and spray,
rather than touch the seat...

He reckoned that it hadn't failed before, even in darkest South
America. I believe he was an Indian national, if that adds anything to
the tale.

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old November 25th 03, 09:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Thomas Payne" wrote in message
m...
Spyke wrote in message

As others have said, most major tourist attractions and department
stores will have at least reasonably good toilet facilities and all
restaurants are obliged to have toilets. Facilities at railroad
terminals are not always as good as one might hope!

I don't think you will find any of this a problem so long as you take
preventative action by passing a department store, restaurant or
tourist attraction (and there are an awful lot of all three!) at the
sort of frequency required by a 4-year-old!

As nobody else seems to have mentioned it, many of the toilets in
railway stations, other public attractions and even in department stores
nowadays, are pay on entry, so make sure you have plenty of small change
(20p usually) handy.

Erm..... are you sure? I don't know of any shops or tourist
attractions in London which charge for their facilities. The only
exceptions I know of are Burger King's in certain places like
Leicester Square. Oh and of course the infamous Harrod's toilets. I
suggest avoiding those thieves, after all Harrod's sells what everyone
else sells, but with a sneer and a hefty price premium.

When I'm at Harrods, I use the disabled washrooms, which do not charge £1.
If I'm asked by staff (not the case so far), I'd show my Disabled Railcard
as proof of entry! If you're travelling First Class from Paddington, Kings
Cross or Euston you can always the toilet facilites in the respective First
Class Lounges, and nice they are too.

Old November 26th 03, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
Ian Jelf typed
*Far* more civilised than Birmingham New Street - London Euston. :-)

Yebbut I live closest to a Northern Line station. Access to Marylebone
is a PITA from here, whereas euston is a doddle.

Okay. When are you coming to see us, the? :-)

Do you have reinforced pockets?

Yes,

Who reinforced them?? ;-)

It's genetic, with us Brummies!

you need them (although our £2.50 day tickets help with many kinds
of journey and most off peak fares are £1 anyway. I wish we had
something similar to London's "Saver" tickets, though. They would
serve my current needs perfectly.

I like Saver tickets but don't use them myself as I have an Annual Bus
Pass.

My pattern of bus use is such that that wouldn't be economic for me and
it just so happens that Savers would fit the bill perfectly. (They
also tend to work well for me when I'm working in London as I frequently
have cause to take one or two buses on "hops" around Central London
during "free time".

I buy Savers to give to friends and beggars.

"For all your Christmas Gift needs: The Saver Ticket". Hmmmm. ;-)
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for
Old November 26th 03, 04:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf typed

I like Saver tickets but don't use them myself as I have an Annual Bus
Pass.

My pattern of bus use is such that that wouldn't be economic for me and
it just so happens that Savers would fit the bill perfectly. (They
also tend to work well for me when I'm working in London as I frequently
have cause to take one or two buses on "hops" around Central London
during "free time".

Sounds like they're right for you but One Day Bus Passes are only £2.

I buy Savers to give to friends and beggars.

"For all your Christmas Gift needs: The Saver Ticket". Hmmmm. ;-)

More like "I'm taking a bus, would you like a ticket?" and

"Spare me change for my bus fare?"
"I don't do change, have a ticket..."
:-)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old November 26th 03, 05:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Helen Deborah Vecht
writes
Ian Jelf typed

I like Saver tickets but don't use them myself as I have an Annual Bus
Pass.

My pattern of bus use is such that that wouldn't be economic for me and
it just so happens that Savers would fit the bill perfectly. (They
also tend to work well for me when I'm working in London as I frequently
have cause to take one or two buses on "hops" around Central London
during "free time".

Sounds like they're right for you but One Day Bus Passes are only £2.

Indeed, but my usual count, if I'm just filling an hour or two while the
group are having free time is one or two journeys. I accept, though,
that I might have slightly unorthodox travel patters compared to the
Vast Majority.

I buy Savers to give to friends and beggars.

"For all your Christmas Gift needs: The Saver Ticket". Hmmmm. ;-)

More like "I'm taking a bus, would you like a ticket?" and

"Spare me change for my bus fare?"
"I don't do change, have a ticket..."
:-)

ROFL!
Old December 10th 03, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Kat wrote in message ...
In message , Chris p
writes
Clive wrote:
I know I'm most probably on the wrong group and am therefore willing
to be re-directed, my question is this. In a few weeks time I am
coming to London with a 4 year old boy. I am presuming he'll want to
about every half an hour, where can I get a guide of toilets in stores
or otherwise that would be suitable for my purposes.

tried 3 stations on the victoria while bursting and in the extremely
hot environment. Bah none, had to leave and make use of KFC's facilities

If you have a small child in need, any tube station would probably allow
you to use the staff facilities.

And if your an adult you just **** on the station with the drunks?
I once came out of a tube station in East London to see a guy laying
on his back on the pavement taking a ****. If that is not a reason for
more public toilets at tube stations i don't know what is.
Old December 10th 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North" wrote in
message om...

And if your an adult you just **** on the station with the drunks?
I once came out of a tube station in East London to see a guy laying
on his back on the pavement taking a ****. If that is not a reason for
more public toilets at tube stations i don't know what is.

Actually, I think that sounds more like a reason for professional help,
possibly including an AA meeting...

Jonn