Old March 25th 10, 09:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default RMT strike - effect on LO

Putting aside the politics beside the RMT's announced strike for a
moment, will the National Rail strike affect what services are still
running on the North London Line? And, if it's up and running by then,
the East London Line?

Old March 25th 10, 09:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 25, 10:08*pm, martin wrote:
Putting aside the politics beside the RMT's announced strike for a
moment, will the National Rail strike affect what services are still
running on the North London Line? And, if it's up and running by then,
the East London Line?

It may well nuke the service (plus bits of the Underground too - see
below) - the London Overground routes are no different from the rest
of the 'National Rail' network and is just as liable to be affected by
the strike. Why? Those going on strike are Network Rail maintenance
staff (full 24 hours) and also signal staff (between 6am-10am and
6pm-10pm).

This BBC News story http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8586422.stm says:
"NR said a strike would have a "severe impact", and earlier predicted
most services would be cancelled."

Actually the ELL is a little bit different - whilst TfL has contracted
with Network Rail to provide signalling on the 'core' route (i.e. New
Cross/ NX Gate to Dalston Jn, which is actually owned by TfL not
Network Rail) - which in itself makes a lot of sense given the
interface with Network Rail at New Cross Gate (i.e. the through
running trains to/from West Croydon and Crystal Palace), Network Rail
is not responsible for maintenance on that bit - that's been
contracted to Carillion (who along with Balfour Beatty were the
contractors responsible for all the construction and conversion
works).

But that's all rather irrelevant if Network Rail signallers are on
strike. I suppose that as a self-contained service (New Crosses to
Dalston Jn) that it might be an easy service to run with whatever
staff are available, but I rather think that Network Rail would wish
to focus whatever resources they have elsewhere. (That said, I dunno
how transferable signalling staff are between different signalling
centres - I rather suspect the answer is 'not a lot', at least not at
short notice.)

Additionally the Bakerloo line is liable to be affected north of
Queen's Park, as that's Network Rail track (though perhaps NR would
make an effort to run the DC line?). Plus, UIVMM the District line
between Putney Bridge and Wimbledon is signalled by Network Rail too.
Old March 26th 10, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:36:21 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T

Is it Network Rail people who are running the control room for the TfL
managed bit then? I sort of assumed they were LOROL people from the
London Reconnections recent feature but perhaps I wasn't paying
sufficient attention.

I think there is a functional difference between the 'control room', and the
signalling centre, although they are in the same room. The control room
aspects will be LOROL - service supervision, station CCTV, help points, long
line announcements, fault response etc etc; but the actual signallers are
NR people. IIRC I read somewhere that the electrical control is provided by
NR staff too, but at Lewisham...

Paul S