Old April 15th 10, 12:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tottenham Hale Bus Station

I used the new Tottenham Hale bus station for the first time
yesterday. At first glance it didn't seem much different from
previously. There may have been a little more space, but some of the
old problems still remain - ie. several 41's parked up at the
terminus, and my bus (the 123) having to squeeze by them in order to
get round to the bus stop.

Does anyone know what work has been done, because there doesn't seem
to be any significant improvement, and I can't help feeling that we
have experienced nine months of disruption for nothing.

Old April 16th 10, 09:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Apr, 15:21, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 05:10:23 -0700 (PDT), Paul
wrote:

I used the new Tottenham Hale bus station for the first time
yesterday. At first glance it didn't seem much different from
previously. There may have been a little more space, but some of the
old problems still remain - ie. several 41's parked up at the
terminus, and my bus (the 123) having to squeeze by them in order to
get round to the bus stop.

Does anyone know what work has been done, because there doesn't seem
to be any significant improvement, and I can't help feeling that we
have experienced nine months of disruption for nothing.

They have moved back the kerbing in some places to create more passing
space and also parking space. *There is a parking bay "on the bend" by
the station entrance which is reserved for the 192s only. *The 41 has to
park behind this point. *Buses that terminate have to set down by the
"dolly stop" at the entry point. * There is also an additional parking
bay (effectively an overflow) by the exit from the bus station. *They
altered the pavement / kerbs here to create the space. Buses are not
allowed to stand opposite the actual bus stop. * The bus stop itself now
has specific bays marked on the carriageway although there is still just
one bus stop flag.

I have seen some internal notices that set out in no uncertain terms
where buses can and cannot park. *It's clear that a watch is being kept
on whether the drivers are obeying the new rules or not.

I think we have to be pleased that 9 months of nonsense is over and done
with. *The next problem is what the hell happens when the works on the
gyratory start in earnest later this year. I expect trying to use the
buses in and around Tottenham is not going to be a pleasant experience.
I also expect that the bus station, taxi rank and "kiss and ride" will
all have to close as the new bus station is built completely on top of
all of those facilities.

--
Paul C

It would appear that not all bus drivers are aware that the new bus
station is open either. I saw a 123 go sailing past the entrance
yesterday afternoon as if the restrictions were still in force.
Old April 16th 10, 10:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 16 Apr, 17:56, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:01:40 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:25:45 -0700 (PDT), Paul
wrote:

It would appear that not all bus drivers are aware that the new bus
station is open either. I saw a 123 go sailing past the entrance
yesterday afternoon as if the restrictions were still in force.

Odd given that the bus station has been open since Monday and there have
been three notices issued that would certainly go to Arriva and ELBG who
run the services that run via the bus station. * Perhaps the driver had
been on holiday or off shift since before Monday?

And to my cost I thought "I'll go home via T Hale this afternoon". I
catch NXEA from Stratford having found an Oyster validator that will
activate my PAYG card. Arrive in time for the 1714 123 - it drives past
the bus station. I wait for the 1724 123 - it drives past the bus
station. *I decide to decamp to the next stop for fear of being marooned
in the bus station all night. Bloody incompetent Arriva.
--
Paul C

When did the 123 start using the bus station anyway? It always went
past in the years when I used it a lot. I can't remember what used it
apart from the 41.
Old April 17th 10, 08:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 17 Apr, 07:25, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:08:37 -0700 (PDT), MIG

wrote:
When did the 123 start using the bus station anyway? *It always went
past in the years when I used it a lot. *I can't remember what used it
apart from the 41.

It's used it all the time that the current bus station has been open.
Until recently I have no memory of the 123 not serving the bus station.
--
Paul C

There was always a driveable-into space there that some buses used,
but whether it could be considered a bus station, I dont know.

As I said, I remember 41s standing there, but that was when they were
still Routemasters, so it'll give an idea of how long ago.

Most of my memory of the 123 is just up to when routes started being
tendered and they went bright yellow. There was still a bus garage in
Walthamstow at the kink in Chingford Road that they ran from* (route
now run by Arriva from Tottenham I think?).

Back then they just went straight past the station at Tottenham Hale
in both directions.

*Although the route didn't go directly past it.