Old May 6th 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default ELL: poor passenger information systems

I made a small diversion on a journey yesterday and used the East London
Line from New Cross Gate to Whitechapel.

At other stations south of New Cross Gate, e.g. Brockley, were marked
with London Overground branding, even though they don't yet have the
trains. But at New Cross Gate, even though it does have the trains,
there were no signs evident at all. Having arrived on the slow up
platform I assumed that I had to go up the steps to the main station
level, but then there was no indication at all of ELL/Overground
services. The next departure was (I later found out) in 10 minutes, but
did not show on the main departures board. A helpful man at the ticket
gates told me to go to Platform 1. On platform 1 there was a new ELL
train but no indication of destination on the platform, or on the train
itself. Boarding passengers mostly asked those on the train whether it
was going to Dalston.

About 9 minutes later, i.e. about a minute before departure, the
on-train signs lit up showing Dalston. It's good that they leave the
waiting train open for passengers to board and get a seat, but not good
that their passenger information systems are so completely useless.

Several of the refurbished stations have nice murals or reproductions of
old photos on the walls - when I have more time I might be inclined to
get off and study them.

I changed to the District Line at Whitechapel - the signs directing you
to the platforms for the east and westbound services are ok, but once on
the appropriate platform the was no indication of which platform face
the next train would leave from, or whether District or Hammersmith
line. The platform had what I think was one of the old-style blinds
with cut-outs of destinations over a set of fluorescent tubes (don't
know that they are called). Whatever it was it didn't function, and I
checked both sides. Fortunately a train came in with Richmond on the
front. Nothing on the destination board throughout, no audible
announcements at any time.

Now that Whitechapel is again a fairly important interchange station,
it's about time TfL put in working destination boards.

--
Clive Page

Old May 6th 10, 12:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 06/05/2010 11:44, Clive Page wrote:
I made a small diversion on a journey yesterday and used the East London
Line from New Cross Gate to Whitechapel.

At other stations south of New Cross Gate, e.g. Brockley, were marked
with London Overground branding, even though they don't yet have the
trains. But at New Cross Gate, even though it does have the trains,
there were no signs evident at all.

Maybe they will be uncovered there as part of an opening ceremony.

Old May 6th 10, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

Indeed the signage at New Cross Gate is rather lacking and there is some
lack of communication too. I used it for the first time a couple of days
ago,
only as far as Canada Water, on my return journey about 3.30 pm I got up
to the platform at Canada Water, a New Cross was due in and arrived, the New
Cross Gate was ticking down on the indicator, and some minutes late it came
through out of service, no announcements though. After another New Cross
arrived
some minutes late with yet another New Cross Gate apparently 2 minutes
behind it
I asked the only member of staff in sight whether it was worth waiting,
he said
there had been disruption and that the approaching one was the first to
the Gate
for 3 hours. Well, it came in and was ok, but the lack of announcements was
really a bit slack.
Presumably when the through services are running the up services will use
platform 5 and the flyover.

[...]

Whitechapel has always been like that, but as a general rule the westbound
trains always use the 2 platforms nearest the booking hall, sorry I cannot
remember the numbering right now, that is the subway on the left downstairs.
But getting the H & C can be very chancy, like NXG lack of decent signage
and information, but did you notice the old unused sign over the stairs
saying Metropolitan Line...

Now that Whitechapel is again a fairly important interchange station,
it's about time TfL put in working destination boards.

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old May 6th 10, 06:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 6, 6:10*pm, Martin Smith wrote:
[...]

There is one solitary Overground sign at New Cross Gate:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rgr ound).jpg

I didn't notice new signs at Brockley - did you mean Honor Oak Park?
Also seen them at Sydenham, Penge West and Anerley.
Old May 14th 10, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tation_signage...

I didn't notice new signs at Brockley - did you mean Honor Oak Park?
Also seen them at Sydenham, Penge West and Anerley.

They now seem to have appeared at Brockley, but not at Forest Hill.

Also the New Cross Gate signs have changed to the standard type seen
at stations south of the

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.JPG

Old May 19th 10, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May, 16:06, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
On 6 May, 19:13, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

[...]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tn_signage_201...

Forest Hill seems to be the only station lacking Overground platform
signage.
Old May 19th 10, 03:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 14, 4:06*pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

On 6 May, 19:13, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
[snip]
There is one solitary Overground sign at New Cross Gate:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rgr ound).jpg

I didn't notice new signs at Brockley - did you mean Honor Oak Park?
Also seen them at Sydenham, Penge West and Anerley.

They now seem to have appeared at Brockley, but not at Forest Hill.

Also the New Cross Gate signs have changed to the standard type seen
at stations south of the

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.jpg

All this 'new' LO station name signage involves is just vinyl stickers
stuck on to the pre-existing signs. Seems a bit of a waste as all the
green Southern signs that are being covered up are pretty new, and
they're all high quality baked enamel things too. Southern could have
saved themselves a few bob by omitting these stations from the
replacement program, but then again I suppose that might not have
looked too good on their part (especially as they wanted to retain the
franchise at that point, plus they were generally overhauling their
whole image).
Old May 19th 10, 04:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On May 14, 4:06 pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:

Also the New Cross Gate signs have changed to the standard type seen
at stations south of the

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.jpg

All this 'new' LO station name signage involves is just vinyl stickers
stuck on to the pre-existing signs.

As per the NLL, this is just the temporary phase - the proper LO platform
roundels (LU like) or the alternative 'white with orange border' signs (as
seen at Clapham Junction or Stratford island platforms) will probably not
be fitted for a while yet.

Paul S

Old May 20th 10, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 19 May, 17:41, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Mizter T wrote:
On May 14, 4:06 pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
Also the New Cross Gate signs have changed to the standard type seen
at stations south of the

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...tn_signage_201....

All this 'new' LO station name signage involves is just vinyl stickers
stuck on to the pre-existing signs.

As per the NLL, this is just the temporary phase - the proper LO platform
roundels (LU like) or the alternative 'white with orange border' signs (as
seen at Clapham Junction or Stratford island platforms) *will probably not
be fitted for a while yet.

Paul S

Do you mean this type?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index..._signag e.jpg

Because the one example in this style at NXG was replaced with the
black/orange style!
Old May 20th 10, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
On May 14, 4:06 pm, "Dr. Sunil" wrote:
Also the New Cross Gate signs have changed to the standard type seen
at stations south of the

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.JPG

All this 'new' LO station name signage involves is just vinyl stickers
stuck on to the pre-existing signs.

As per the NLL, this is just the temporary phase - the proper LO platform
roundels (LU like) or the alternative 'white with orange border' signs (as
seen at Clapham Junction or Stratford island platforms) *will probably not
be fitted for a while yet.

Paul S

Do you mean this type?
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index..._signag e.jpg

He does I think, yes.

See these examples from Clapham Jn:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/2918681993/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/2918694477/

Must admit I'm not entirely au fait with the logic of having temporary
sign styles which are then replaced with a different permanent style
at a later date - though I think it's to do with whether stations are
up to the requisite LO standard is it not?

Because the one example in this style at NXG was replaced with the
black/orange style!

Though that one example was nowt other than a vinyl sticker stuck over
the old (but not old really) green Southern nameboard, which was still
quite visible in the photo you linked to earlier:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...rgr ound).jpg