Old May 13th 10, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Wood Lane roundel returns

The original Underground mosaic roundel from the old Wood Lane
station, after several years of restoration, has been returned to the
new Wood Lane station.

Photos can be found on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4586985877/

Comments on this photo suggest it'll be a little better presented
soon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/4584197504/

Old May 15th 10, 08:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13/05/2010 11:04, martin wrote:
The original Underground mosaic roundel from the old Wood Lane
station, after several years of restoration, has been returned to the
new Wood Lane station.

Photos can be found on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4586985877/

Comments on this photo suggest it'll be a little better presented
soon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/4584197504/

I notice your photo of the Sarah Siddons locomotive for service tomorrow.

I also noticed that it had a NR locomotive on it.

How were the locomotives turned at Amersham or Watford before they were
taken out of revenue service?
Old May 16th 10, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 15, 8:00*pm, "
wrote:
On 13/05/2010 11:04, martin wrote:

The original Underground mosaic roundel from the old Wood Lane
station, after several years of restoration, has been returned to the
new Wood Lane station.

Photos can be found on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4586985877/

Comments on this photo suggest it'll be a little better presented
soon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/4584197504/

I notice your photo of the Sarah Siddons locomotive for service tomorrow.

I also noticed that it had a NR locomotive on it.

How were the locomotives turned at Amersham or Watford before they were
taken out of revenue service?

Not my photos, I'm afraid - you're probably best posting a comment on
them to find out how it was done!
Old May 17th 10, 09:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 May, 20:00, "
wrote:
On 13/05/2010 11:04, martin wrote:

The original Underground mosaic roundel from the old Wood Lane
station, after several years of restoration, has been returned to the
new Wood Lane station.

Photos can be found on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/4586985877/

Comments on this photo suggest it'll be a little better presented
soon:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/normko/4584197504/

I notice your photo of the Sarah Siddons locomotive for service tomorrow.

I also noticed that it had a NR locomotive on it.

How were the locomotives turned at Amersham or Watford before they were
taken out of revenue service?

There was never a need to turn them, since there are cabs at both
ends. In the past the loco would have run around the train at the
terminus, or another loco substituted at the other end. For loco-
hauled heritage trains on LUL I believe the policy is always to
provide a loco at both ends of the train throughout the journey to
cover in case of failure. (LUL engineering trains also usually have a
battery or diesel loco at both ends - this also means the train can
easily be reversed from locations where a crossover is not available.)
Old May 17th 10, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"umpston" wrote in message

(LUL engineering trains also usually have a
battery or diesel loco at both ends - this also means the train can
easily be reversed from locations where a crossover is not available.)

Is it also the rule that both cabs must be manned? Whenever I've seen
an engineering train pass, both cabs of the battery locos seem to be
manned.

Old May 17th 10, 09:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 May, 16:04, "Recliner" wrote:
"umpston" wrote in message

(LUL engineering trains also usually have a
battery or diesel loco at both ends - this also means the train can
easily be reversed from locations where a crossover is not available.)

Is it also the rule that both cabs must be manned? *Whenever I've seen
an engineering train pass, both cabs of the battery locos seem to be
manned.

I don't know. What would be the point of such a rule? The non-driving
cabs might just be occupied by engineering staff needing a lift to the
work site.
Old May 17th 10, 10:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"umpston" wrote in message

(LUL engineering trains also usually have a
battery or diesel loco at both ends - this also means the train can
easily be reversed from locations where a crossover is not
available.)

Is it also the rule that both cabs must be manned? Whenever I've seen
an engineering train pass, both cabs of the battery locos seem to be
manned.

I don't know. What would be the point of such a rule? The non-driving
cabs might just be occupied by engineering staff needing a lift to the
work site.

There are many practical advantages to manning both cabs - especially when
you think how difficult it might be to get from one end of the train to the
other when underground away from stations, for instance in reversing
sidings. With normal trains the driver can walk through all the cars...

Paul S

Old May 18th 10, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

[...]

I see what you mean. I read Recliner's post as meaning both cabs of
each loco being manned.
Old May 18th 10, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"umpston" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, as it's what I've observed, without
knowing whether it's mandatory, customary or just accidental. But
perhaps, as umpston suggests, they're actually engineering passengers
rather than drivers.