Old May 14th 10, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default South West Trains platform signage.

In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Compare and contrast:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...gnage_2010.JPG
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...on_signage.JPG

Old May 14th 10, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr. Sunil wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo
Old May 15th 10, 01:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/05/2010 16:36, Theo Markettos wrote:
Dr. wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo

They are rolling out the new white-on-blue style across their whole
network, not just in the zones. Aldershot has them as well (without Fare
zone label obviously).
Old May 16th 10, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr. wrote:
In recent months, South West Trains have changed a lot of signage on
the platforms at their stations in the Oystercard Area (though not all
of them). Noticed new signs (so far) at Queenstown Road, Vauxhall,
Earlsfield, Raynes Park, New Malden, Norbiton, Twickenham, Surbiton
and Feltham. But I have yet to check out the Hounslow loop, Hampton/
Fulwell, Thames Ditton and the Chessington and Ewell West branches in
recent months though.

Yes, I noticed that. When viewed from a distance it's easy to mistake
them
for platform numbers. I suppose regular users will get used to them.

Theo

They are rolling out the new white-on-blue style across their whole
network, not just in the zones. Aldershot has them as well (without Fare
zone label obviously).

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Paul

Old May 17th 10, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr. wrote:
[...]

Ah, I wondered why Stagecoach was dropping its branding from the signs.
It seems like a good idea.

Old May 17th 10, 05:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dr. wrote:
[...]

Has anyone checked these signs in the dark? ISTR that the former WAGN
white on blue signs were virtually invisible at night. (Of course the
relative positions of the signs and lamps abd the inclination of the
sign also affect this.)
Old May 17th 10, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 16 May 2010 23:07:54 +0100, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Seems to be almost a European standard. DB, SNCF and SBB (OK, not EU,
I know) use that format. I think it looks quite nice, personally.

Next stop, a National Rail livery?

Neil
--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
To reply put my first name before the at.
Old May 17th 10, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 17, 5:37*pm, Neil Williams
wrote:

Next stop, a National Rail livery?

Blue and Grey?
Old May 17th 10, 11:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

White on navy blue is supposedly going to be being rolled out nationally,
not just on SWT. It was one of the decisions following the stations report
prepared for the last Transport Secretary, the idea being that signage will
no longer be changed with franchise renewals.

Seems to be almost a European standard. DB, SNCF and SBB (OK, not EU,
I know) use that format. I think it looks quite nice, personally.

Next stop, a National Rail livery?

Yes please!

Not just one livery. One for InterCity, one for Network SouthEast,
one for Regional Railways and one for JockRail.