London Banter

-   -   'That's a nice tie' (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/1085-thats-nice-tie.html)

Ken Wheatley November 27th 03 04:22 PM

'That's a nice tie'

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Stimpy November 27th 03 08:10 PM

'That's a nice tie'

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

Bondee November 27th 03 08:29 PM

'That's a nice tie'

"Ken Wheatley" wrote in message
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Did she shake her Tic-Tacs at you?
: )

Dave Newt November 27th 03 09:24 PM

'That's a nice tie'

Stimpy wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

I can sense a lot of u.t.l. people wearing their favouritest tie on the
central line tomorrow!

Ken Wheatley November 27th 03 11:28 PM

'That's a nice tie'

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:10:26 -0000, "Stimpy"
wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

But was it, indeed, a nice tie? Maybe she was taking the p*ss ;-)

Went through my mind too. That just proves how cynical we've become.
I'm sure she was genuine.

The tie was, I suppose, not bad. It has white dogs on a navy
background looking a bit like Space Invaders, with each row separated
by some thin lighter blue lines. I think I bought it at Austin Reed at
Stansted when on a trip and I'd forgotten to pack one.

Anyway - don't care if she was taking the **** - still cheered me up.

Seanie O'Kilfoyle November 28th 03 12:20 PM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
[...]

In any event she was referring to the bloke from Bangkok who was sat next to
you

NER !

Brian Watson November 29th 03 07:55 AM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

Ken Wheatley wrote:
[...]

Ah, but I bet she didn't shake her Tic-Tacs at him.

--
Brian
"Not quite an Angel"

Nick Cooper December 1st 03 12:32 AM

'That's a nice tie'

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 17:22:51 +0000, Ken Wheatley
wrote:

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Obviously not "local," then....
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

CJG Now Thankfully Living In The North December 1st 03 05:06 PM

'That's a nice tie'

wrote:

I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Christmas. Looking for that right tie to buy her dad. Obvisouly.

Ian Jelf December 1st 03 10:41 PM

'That's a nice tie'

In article , Ken Wheatley
writes
I was on the Central Line today. I noticed a striking looking woman
get on at, I think, St. Pauls and sit opposite me. At Holborn she got
off. But at she stood up, she looked at me and gave me a great big
smile. 'That's a nice tie' she said, then got off.

Very small, but it just about made my day. No-one had told her it was
mandatory to studiously ignore everyone else on the tube. She actually
acted in a human and pleasant way. Good for her.

Quite!

When I'm guiding in London I usually wear either my "Monopoly Squares"
tie or my "Beck Tube Map" tie. The latter elicits *endless* favourable
comment, I have to say, not only from my passengers but from others
(even including Londoners - gasp!). People seem genuinely to *love*
it.

If only the rest of my wardrobe brought forth reactions like that.......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG, Birmingham, UK
Registered "Blue Badge" Tourist Guide for